Re: [ProgAndOther] Camel

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2003
      In a message dated 12/31/2003 6:50:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, karla__k@... writes:

      >>I got Camel “A Nod and a Wink” for Christmas. Anyone have any opinions about Camel?<<

      Camel is a legendary prog band from England that has been around since the mid 70's.  If you enjoyed "A Nod And A Wink" Camel has a whole catalogue of great albums for you to check out.  My personal favorite Camel disc is probably "Harbour Of Tears" from the mid-90's, but I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions on which is their best.

      Steve Sly
      Progday X
      (NP - Hidria Spacefolk - Symbiosis)
    • barnstoneworth
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
          i'd agree that a nod and a wink is their weakest effort too. my personal
          favorite is dust and dreams. its pretty mellow like a nod and a wink but with really
          gorgeous melodies. you can't go wrong with raindances, breathless, mirage or the snow goose just
          to start out with. their catalogue is pretty strong.
          jerry

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
            i'd agree that a nod and a wink is their weakest effort too. my personal
            favorite is dust and dreams. its pretty mellow like a nod and a wink but
            with really
            gorgeous melodies. you can't go wrong with raindances, breathless, mirage or
            the snow goose just
            to start out with. their catalogue is pretty strong.
            jerry

            Dust and Dreams is such an emotional album-almost reduces me to tears in
            places!! Mind you a lot of Andy Latimers writing playing can do that to
            me...I can't listen to 'Ice' without getting goosebumps!!

            The best thing is that Camel handle their own stuff now, and if you order it
            from them and ask nicely, you
            ll probably get it autographed too!!

            Cheers

            Andy
          • Greg Hall
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
              I am actually one of those that really like A Nod and A Wink and find much of the older stuff a little boring.

              Greg

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • sean@nexus.carleton.ca
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "karla" <karla__k@h...> wrote:
                > I got Camel "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone have any
                > opinions about Camel?

                One of the big bands of the 70s. I liked "A Nod and a Wink" well
                enough, but you will certainly want to check out their 70s works
                like "Mirage" and "The Snow Goose" for the bset music they made.

                Regards,
                Sean
              • Don Arnold
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
                  As you can read, Camel hasn't written a bad album.
                  Some are better than others. Of the ones I have, I
                  like Raindances, Snow Goose, Rajaz and Breathless
                  among others.

                  Happy riding!

                  Don Arnold
                  Victoria, BC

                  --- karla <karla__k@...> wrote: > I got Camel
                  "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone
                  > have any opinions
                  > about Camel?

                • Adam Levin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Rush Guitarist in New Year's Eve Fight

                    NAPLES, Fla. - The lead guitarist for the rock band Rush faces criminal
                    charges after a New Year's Eve fight with sheriff's deputies.

                    Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was
                    arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the
                    Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel.

                    Deputies said they used a stun gun on Zivojinovich, 50, who faces six
                    charges that include aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer,
                    resisting an officer with violence, and disorderly intoxication.

                    Also arrested were his 33-year-old son Justin Zivojinovich and wife
                    Michelle Zivojinovich, 30.

                    Justin Zivojinovich said his father, who was still in Collier County jail
                    late Thursday, had his nose broken by deputies.

                    He also said his father did not throw a female deputy down the stairs, as
                    stated in arrest reports. She tumbled down the stairs as she pushed the
                    guitarist down the stairwell, his son said.

                    The scuffle began when Justin Zivojinovich refused to leave a stage,
                    according to the arrest report.

                    Rush's hits include "Tom Sawyer," from the 1981 album "Moving Pictures,"
                    "Limelight" and "Spirit of the Radio."

                    -Adam

                    ----
                    T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
                    http://www.darkaether.net/

                    "Fusing jazz-inflected soundscapes, dark imagery, innovative tape loops,
                    symphonic rock textures and psychedelic experimentation, Dark Aether Project
                    explore the furthest realms of progressive rock." - Allmusic Guide

                    ** The latest CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
                    Amazon.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com - MandMMusic.com
                    OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - TowerRecords.com - WaysideMusic.com
                  • Guy LeBlanc
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                      --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, "karla" <karla__k@h...> wrote:
                      > I got Camel "A Nod and a Wink" for Christmas. Anyone have any
                      opinions
                      > about Camel?

                      Howdy,
                      You didn't say whether you're enjoying your gift (or not)...
                      Given that you seem to be unacquainted with the Camel catalog, I'd
                      suggest that you go backwards from the most recent, at least up to
                      the mid-80s.
                      Alot of folks have expressed their likes and dislikes about this
                      band and its various albums, as well as its many different lineups,
                      so I'll just say that there's stuff on each album that I really
                      like, and NAAW explores just about each period of the band's history.
                      Cheers,
                      Guy LeBlanc
                    • karla
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2004
                        Thanks to everyone for your replies. I see there are a lot of varied
                        opinions, which means it'll be worth my while doing some more "research"
                        on these guys.

                        I'm enjoying it OK. It's quite mellow, so before I solidify an opinion,
                        it deserves more listens.

                        Sometimes it helps to get other opinions and/or comments, to appreciate
                        what I'm hearing, if it doesn't grab me right away. So again, I thank
                        all of you.

                        karla