Progspace

  • Chris Laine
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
      Please feel free to join my little prog forum -

      http://www.progspace.com/forum

      If you're looking for a small progressive rock forum to belong and
      contribute to...please come join us!

      Chris Laine
      http://www.echolynfan.com
    • Adam Levin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
        On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Chris Laine wrote:

        > Please feel free to join my little prog forum -
        >
        > http://www.progspace.com/forum
        >
        > If you're looking for a small progressive rock forum to belong and
        > contribute to...please come join us!

        You know, just the other day I came close to cross-posting to the several
        dozen prog rock web message boards, mailing lists and newsgroups that we
        don't have enough forums to discuss prog.

        -Adam

        ----
        T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
        http://www.darkaether.net/

        "Fusing jazz-inflected soundscapes, dark imagery, innovative tape loops,
        symphonic rock textures and psychedelic experimentation, Dark Aether Project
        explore the furthest realms of progressive rock." - Allmusic Guide

        ** The latest CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
        Amazon.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com - MandMMusic.com
        OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - TowerRecords.com - WaysideMusic.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2003
          --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Adam Levin <alevin@d...> wrote:
          > On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Chris Laine wrote:
          >
          > > Please feel free to join my little prog forum -
          > >
          > > http://www.progspace.com/forum
          > >
          > > If you're looking for a small progressive rock forum to belong
          > > and contribute to...please come join us!
          >
          > You know, just the other day I came close to cross-posting to the
          > several dozen prog rock web message boards, mailing lists and
          > newsgroups that we don't have enough forums to discuss prog.

          Does seem kind of ironic to post to a small progressive rock forum
          to get its contributors to join and contribute to a different small
          progressive rock forum...

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
        • Joseph Shingler
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
            Actually I can see the logic in it.
            Although there are a number of different sites devoted to the same topic, I find there is a different level of camaraderie to each site. And there are certain high profile members which have gained the respect of the forum, and oftentimes their voice reflects the opinion of the site. They unwilling become the 'voice of authority' - and it becomes a bit intimidating for newcomers - or lurkers like myself - to voice an opposing opinion.
            This is why I bounce from site to site to learn from a variety of sources. I read everything, soak up info, buy CDs of recommended bands, and unless I find myself infuriated by some pompous prog-snob, seldom join in the conversation ... until I feel comfortable and unafraid to look silly. Something that comes easily to me.
            This new site that Chris Laine is just establishing is starting at step one - and as such - there will be that honeymoon period with everyone on an equal turf. The so-called 'experts' have yet to be established.
            Sometimes it's hard to step into an established group and feel a level of comfort within the group. Harder yet when you're a musician trying to hawk your wares from time to time ... and because you haven't gained the respect or acceptance of the group you feel like a first class spammer.
            This is why a new ground level group isn't really a bad idea. It will allow the more timid (believe me ... that I'm not) to feel free to speak ... or ask a question that may have been covered numerous times at another site.
            There is nothing more disheartening to someone new to progressive rock than to ask a question like "Who is the big 5" ... "What is neo-prog" or any number of similar questions that members of a site like this have talked to death about ... and then have someone shoot back - "How many times do we have to discuss this!"
            You can bet it's the last time that poor newcomer will post a message.
            So I wish Chris well and hope his group is a success. I'll probably join and see where the discussion goes. Never know what you'll learn ... or who you can learn it from. And then again, you may find yourself to be 'the expert' for a moment in time.

            Joe Shingler/Ghosts Of Pompeii
            > > Please feel free to join my little prog forum -
            > >
            > > http://www.progspace.com/forum
            > >
            > > If you're looking for a small progressive rock forum to belong
            > > and contribute to...please come join us!
            >
            > You know, just the other day I came close to cross-posting to the
            > several dozen prog rock web message boards, mailing lists and
            > newsgroups that we don't have enough forums to discuss prog.

            Does seem kind of ironic to post to a small progressive rock forum
            to get its contributors to join and contribute to a different small
            progressive rock forum...

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

            ---
            The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
            To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

          • Joseph Shingler
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
              Actually I can see the logic in it.
              Although there are a number of different sites devoted to the same topic, I find there is a different level of camaraderie to each site. Sometimes it's hard to penetrate that tight knit circle of friends.
              And there are certain high profile members which have gained the respect of the forum, and oftentimes their voice reflects the opinion of the site. They unwittingly or unwilling are deemed the 'voice of authority' - and it becomes a bit intimidating for newcomers - or lurkers like myself - to voice an opposing opinion.
              This is why I bounce from site to site to learn from a variety of sources. I read everything, soak up the shared info, buy CDs of recommended bands, and unless I find myself infuriated by some pompous prog-snob, seldom join in the conversation ... until I feel comfortable and unafraid to look silly. Something that comes easily to me.
              This new site that Chris Laine is establishing is starting at step one - and as such - there will be that honeymoon period with everyone on an equal turf. The so-called 'experts' have yet to be established.
              Sometimes it's hard to step into an established group and feel a level of comfort within the group. Harder yet when you're a musician trying to hawk your wares from time to time ... and because you haven't gained the respect or acceptance of the group you feel like a first class spammer. Or find yourself saddled with that title.
              This is why a new ground level group isn't really a bad idea. It will allow the newcomer to prog, or the more timid (believe me ... that I'm not) to feel free to speak ... or ask a question that may have been covered numerous times at an older established site.
              There is nothing more disheartening for someone new to progressive rock than to ask a question like: "Who is the big 5" , or  "What is neo-prog" ... and then have someone shoot back - "How many times do we have to discuss this!"
              You can bet it's the last time that poor newcomer will ask a question.
              I've seen it happen many times.
              So I wish Chris well and hope his group is a success. I'll probably join and see what direction the group is headed.
              Never know what you'll learn ... or who you can learn it from. And then again, someone may learn something from you, and for a brief moment in time, you can be 'the so-called expert'.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
                On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Joseph Shingler wrote:

                > Actually I can see the logic in it.
                > Although there are a number of different sites devoted to the same
                > topic, I find there is a different level of camaraderie to each site.
                > Sometimes it's hard to penetrate that tight knit circle of friends.

                <SNIP>

                > - and it becomes a bit intimidating for newcomers - or lurkers like
                > myself - to voice an opposing opinion.

                <SNIP>

                > This new site that Chris Laine is establishing is starting at step one -
                > and as such - there will be that honeymoon period with everyone on an
                > equal turf. The so-called 'experts' have yet to be established.
                > Sometimes it's hard to step into an established group and feel a level
                > of comfort within the group.

                <SNIP>

                > This is why a new ground level group isn't really a bad idea. It will
                > allow the newcomer to prog, or the more timid (believe me ... that I'm
                > not) to feel free to speak ... or ask a question that may have been
                > covered numerous times at an older established site.

                So essentially what you're saying is that rather than integrating ones'
                self into existing social environments, everytime someone new comes along
                they should create their own so that they don't feel awkward? The analog
                to real world human interaction is that Chris has essentially walked into
                a party (well, several parties since I've seen his note posted in other
                forums) and announced "I have decided to throw my own party because yours
                is not good enough."

                -Adam

                ----

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
                  To use your party analogy - there is nothing wrong with throwing your own party, and taking ideas from each party you've attended in the past to create something new.
                  True, maybe there are no new party games, and there are only so many ways to prepare sloppy joes - but it's the people that make the party. And when you surround yourself with friends and aquaintences the party seems to be better than it really is.
                  All I'm saying is that even though there may be many groups out there of a similar nature - it may take time to find that perfect 'fit', where you feel comfortable enough to join in. And on some sites the level of expertise is so high among the membership that it's hard to add anything new to the conversation.
                  We all fequent one site more than another - and that's for a reason. It's not that one site is better or worse than the other - it's simply that we've become part of that community of friends.
                  I hope you don't take this as bad-mouthing the group. That is the furthest thing from my mind. This is a great group with very informed and passionate members - I'm simply expressing why another prog site isn't a bad thing.

                  Adam Levin <alevin@...> wrote:
                  On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Joseph Shingler wrote:

                  > Actually I can see the logic in it.
                  > Although there are a number of different sites devoted to the same
                  > topic, I find there is a different level of camaraderie to each site.
                  > Sometimes it's hard to penetrate that tight knit circle of friends.

                  <SNIP>

                  > - and it becomes a bit intimidating for newcomers - or lurkers like
                  > myself - to voice an opposing opinion.

                  <SNIP>

                  > This new site that Chris Laine is establishing is starting at step one -
                  > and as such - there will be that honeymoon period with everyone on an
                  > equal turf. The so-called 'experts' have yet to be established.
                  > Sometimes it's hard to step into an established group and feel a level
                  > of comfort within the group.

                  <SNIP>

                  > This is why a new ground level group isn't really a bad idea. It will
                  > allow the newcomer to prog, or the more timid (believe me ... that I'm
                  > not) to feel free to speak ... or ask a question that may have been
                  > covered numerous times at an older established site.

                  So essentially what you're saying is that rather than integrating ones'
                  self into existing social environments, everytime someone new comes along
                  they should create their own so that they don't feel awkward?  The analog
                  to real world human interaction is that Chris has essentially walked into
                  a party (well, several parties since I've seen his note posted in other
                  forums) and announced "I have decided to throw my own party because yours
                  is not good enough."

                  -Adam

                  ----
                               T h e   D a r k   A e t h e r   P r o j e c t
                                        http://www.darkaether.net/

                  "Fusing jazz-inflected soundscapes, dark imagery, innovative tape loops,
                  symphonic rock textures and psychedelic experimentation, Dark Aether Project
                  explore the furthest realms of progressive rock." - Allmusic Guide

                  ** The latest CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
                     Amazon.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com - MandMMusic.com
                      OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - TowerRecords.com - WaysideMusic.com

                  ---
                  The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
                  To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
                    In a message dated 12/8/2003 10:03:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, alien8ed46408@... writes:
                    >>To use your party analogy - there is nothing wrong with throwing your own party, and taking ideas from each party you've attended in the past to create something new.
                    True, maybe there are no new party games, and there are only so many ways to prepare sloppy joes - but it's the people that make the party. And when you surround yourself with friends and aquaintences the party seems to be better than it really is.  <<

                    I understand what both you and Alan are saying and you both have good points.  In the case of this group I have many people here that I consider friends, so the interaction between us tends to be on a bit of a different level than someplace like RMP for example.  I can understand why it might seem a bit cliquish to people who first join this group from the outside, although in reality I don't think it is really the case.  It is just that many of the folks on this group have been here since it's inception and we have all gotten to "know" each other over the years.  There are other groups that I am a member of where I feel much more like an "outsider" although I still read the postings and occasionally participate.  Actually this group started as a splinter group from a previous one that some of us got tired of some of the policies enforced on the POTSW list.  On the other hand I understand Alan's point of view as well.

                    Steve Sly
                    Progday X
                    (NP - Dream Theater - Train Of Thought)