RE: [ProgAndOther] Spin Mag spins prog

  • Phil Bastanchury
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Yup. Tortoise is awesome (at least on CD, saw them live and was
      disappointed). They have a vaguely krautrock'ish bent (think CAN), though
      in a more post-rock vein. Emphasis is on rhythm and grove, mostly -- and
      they use the studio production as its own instrument (which was utterly
      lacking in their live show and which was why I was disappointed). The album
      they mention is almost Tangerine Dreamish, albeit a lot more rhythmic-based,
      and I highly highly recommend it. It was the first of theirs that I heard,
      and I immediately went out and bought the rest.

      As a matter of fact, a cross between Tangereine Dream and Can would be a
      fair statement, though even that misses the mark a bit as there's more of a
      straight-ahead melodic bent to their later stuff.

      Hope that helps.
      Phil

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Rush's Chronicles is just a compilation; & besides that, I'm not even
        sure I'd consider Rush prog anyway.

        Kevin
      • Bob Eichler
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          In the last digest, "Jerry Harkey" <harkey@...> wrote:

          >The Jan 04 Spin Magazine list the following as 'Essential Prog
          >Rock'. It blames Sgt Pepper as the beginning to "this enchanted
          >world of bewigged weirdness":
          >
          >The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
          >The Mothers of Invention - We're Only in it for the Money
          >Yes - Fragile
          >Gong - Flying Teapot:Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1
          >Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
          >Genesis - Foxtrot
          >Can - Ege Bamyasi
          >King Crimson - Red
          >Rush - Chronicles
          >Tortoise - Millions Now Living will Die

          Egad, I own a copy of every album recommended as "essential prog"
          by a trendy music magazine. All but one of them on CD (I have
          "Days of Future Passed" on cassette). I guess that means I don't
          have to buy any more prog albums now.

          >Anyone here familiar with Tortoise?

          They were just discussed here a couple weeks ago in the thread
          titled "Post Rock?".

          My take on "Millions Now Living" is that it's OK, an interesting
          listen, good to very good in places but nothing world-rocking
          overall. All instrumental, mostly electronic, fairly repetitive,
          a bit sparse and sterile sounding, sort of a techno music fan's
          idea of prog.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
            In a message dated 12/1/2003 8:12:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, kdude420@... writes:
            >>Rush's Chronicles is just a compilation; & besides that, I'm not even
            sure I'd consider Rush prog anyway.<<

            IMO Rush was one of the originators of what developed into progressive metal.  Their early stuff is definitely prog, although in more recent times they have gone away from it.

            Steve Sly
            Progday X
            (NP - The Flower Kings - Meet The Flower Kings Live)
          • umocheech
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
              Atta boy, Steve! Yep, prog-metal began with _Caress Of Steel_ & _2112_.
              Early Dream Theater especially reminds me of PW/MP-era Rush, with
              fulltime keys, while other bands do the 70s Rush or late-80s/90s Rush
              thang.

              People who don't consider 70s Rush as prog or proggy usually are
              nonfans. The thing is, most progladytes consider odd-time sigs a
              prog-rock "staple." What, is Pink Floyd gonna be tossed out, next? ;-)

              E-Man