KIng's X & Fishbone live

  • rich mueller
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2003
      Hello,
      Last night I attended a pretty amazing show- King's X and Fishbone,
      double bill, full set each.
      King's X had the second or headline slot and put on a great show like I
      have expected (I have seen these guys every chance since day 1). One nice
      surprise, they pretty well ignored all of the old classic crowd pleasers
      you would expect and focused on newer stuff, I love the unexpected. One
      huge downer, too many freakin' decibels- I love heavy music, but it just
      ain't right when a man's pant legs are flappin' in a breeze of sound
      pressure.

      Mucho treat of the evening- Fishbone!
      It has been some 10 years since I had paid any attention to this band and
      last night I realized that they are one helluva prog band (great sound
      mix btw)- I mean, there's horns, stop on a dime time changes, intricate
      vocal harmonies, technical instrumental noodling, a boatload of musical
      styles, and even a Theremin for chrissakes!
      Did I mention these guys play their asses off.
      For anyone who ever wondered what danceable prog is like, this is it, go
      see them if you get the chance.

      rich

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2003
        In a message dated 10/27/2003 6:01:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, progholio@... writes:

        > Mucho treat of the evening- Fishbone!
        > It has been some 10 years since I had paid any attention to
        > this band and
        > last night I realized that they are one helluva prog band<<

        I was not really familiar with Fishbone, but I happened to catch their performance on Saturday Night Live (a repeat from back in the 90's sometime) on TV the other day, and I was really blown away by what I saw. They really are incredible at what they do. I would not call them a prog band (their music is all over the place), but they are killer musicians and performers.

        Steve Sly
        Progday 2004
        (NP - Symphony X - The Oddyssey)
      • umocheech
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
          Sh*t, they showed that the other day? Who was hosting? Why do
          I miss the good reruns? Whenever I see an SNL rerun, DMX or
          Kid Rock is the flippin' "musical guest."

          Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 9:26 AM
          Subject: Re: [ProgAndOther] KIng's X & Fishbone live

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
            In a message dated 10/31/2003 12:16:12 AM Central Standard Time, umocheech@... writes:
            >>Sh*t, they showed that the other day? Who was hosting? Why do
            I miss the good reruns? Whenever I see an SNL rerun, DMX or
            Kid Rock is the flippin' "musical guest."<<

            I don't remember who the host was.  I just happened to catch it flipping around channels.

            Steve Sly
            Progday X
            (NP - Strawbs - Blue Angel)