Re: [ProgAndOther] Waking the dead with Wakeman

  • Noah Lesgold
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Adam Levin wrote:

      > > The basic word is that his current band doesn't suck, and particularly
      > > Damian Wilson on vocals is better than 99% of the other people Wakeman
      > > has paid to sing for him.
      >
      > I had a DVD of Wakeman's band performing live in Argentina from a few
      > years ago. Hearing Wilson using his pseudo-Bruce Dickinson
      > high-pitched heavy metal ball-buster vibrato on "Starship Trooper"
      > sent several of us who were sitting around watching it into fits of
      > laughter, because the voice didn't fit with the music at all. But
      > yeah, he's a better singer than most of the folks that Wakeman has
      > worked with on his solo albums.

      Yeah. I can see Wilson being a poor fit with the Yes material, though
      some is still bombastic enough to work ok with him, I'd imagine. The
      main key is that he's not unspeakably awful, which really does rank him
      over most of Wakeman's past singers.

      --
      Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
      nlesgold@... AIM/Y!: nlesgold ICQ: 132716231

      "Remember the good ol' days, when the biggest threats to the Homeland were
      2 Live Crew recordings?" --Get Your War On (www.mnftiu.cc)
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        In a message dated 10/2/2003 11:45:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nlesgold@... writes:

        > Yeah. I can see Wilson being a poor fit with the Yes material, though
        > some is still bombastic enough to work ok with him, I'd imagine. The
        > main key is that he's not unspeakably awful, which really
        > does rank him
        > over most of Wakeman's past singers.<<

        Actually, with the right band Wilson has a great voice. His work with Ayreon and Star One is very good. He was also the origional vocalist with Landmarq which was good stuff too. But, I agree with the Starship Trooper thing. He does it on the Magna Carta Yes tribute album and it is pretty bad.

        Steve Sly
        Progday 2004
        (NP - Joe Jackson - Volume 4)
      • Noah Lesgold
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 stevesly@... wrote:

          > Actually, with the right band Wilson has a great voice. His work with
          > Ayreon and Star One is very good.

          Oh, no question. I'm a big fan of _Into the Electric Castle_ and _Space
          Metal_, and he's great on those. I was just saying, he doesn't
          necessarily even have to be *good* to be better than most of Wakeman's
          singers. :)

          > He was also the origional vocalist with Landmarq which was good stuff
          > too. But, I agree with the Starship Trooper thing. He does it on the
          > Magna Carta Yes tribute album and it is pretty bad.

          Too true.

          --
          Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
          nlesgold@... AIM/Y!: nlesgold ICQ: 132716231

          "Neil, my barely adequate psychic defenses are crumbling!"
        • progjeff2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            --- In ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com, Adam Levin <alevin@d...> wrote:

            > I had a DVD of Wakeman's band performing live in Argentina from a few
            > years ago. Hearing Wilson using his pseudo-Bruce Dickinson high-pitched
            > heavy metal ball-buster vibrato on "Starship Trooper" sent several of us
            > who were sitting around watching it into fits of laughter, because the
            > voice didn't fit with the music at all. But yeah, he's a better singer
            > than most of the folks that Wakeman has worked with on his solo albums.

            You know, I don't mean to sound heretical, but I actually liked that
            version of "Starship Trooper," largely because it wasn't an awful
            note-for-note cover like pretty much the rest of the album (the
            Gilbert/Kenneally/D'Virgillio tune was an exception for some reason).
            I should point out that I haven't heard it in over five years as I
            lent it out to a former coworker and never asked for it back.

            - jeff, red-faced and ashamed