Tape Circle, Rags, Fates, MP3's and schtuff!

  • The Bass Player
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 1999
      Bice, you have inspired me to steal your idea and combine this all into
      one long post. I don't know why, but I like it.

      1st up: Tape Circle

      Ginny, I haven't finished a review of your tape yet because I started
      writing a review as I listened track by track, giving each song some
      time to sink in, and since I've been laid up I've spent like, zero time
      with my casette player. I've only listened to it a couple of times
      through total but I fully intend on going through it full force next
      week sometime. I finally got a walking cast and it'll be much easier to
      get to my casette stuff. I've instead been concentrating on my vid
      collection because I've been stuck on the couch in front of the tv most
      of the time. My home cassette deck is in my office and I've only been
      able to spend an hour or so at a time there because I can't elevate my
      cast when I'm at my desk. Anyway, the beginning of my review is at the
      end of this mail and I promise to finish it next week, not to mention
      finally listening to Rob LaDuca's 2 (Count 'Em) 2 tapes. By the way, I
      duped Rob's tapes for myself and I'll be shipping them off to you, Jim,
      early next week. By the way, Happy belated Birthday wishes to you, Jim,
      my apparent soul brother in muse. Anyway................

      About Jerry Keller's tape.........

      I noticed the mention of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells in this recent
      conversation and it brought up something I noticed a couple of daze (and
      I mean, DAZE) ago on VH1. During the Where Are They Now series (I can't
      forget during exactly what artist) they did a camera zoom-in on an old
      top 100 list and as they zoomed in I noticed Mike Oldfield's Tubular
      Bells charted at 37 or something like that. It might have even been
      higher. Ever seen that Jerry? When did this song chart? What was number
      one at the time? Geez, it's bugging me that I can't remember whose song
      they were zooming in on at the top of that chart. Any cluez?

      Bob wrote: "Hey, I read pretty much everything on the P&O list."

      Me too, Brother, Me too!!!!! I never really considered myself any kind
      of prog fan, maybe a little, but this group of people has a great take
      on music of ALL kinds and I find it fun to read everthing.

      About the MP3 schtuff,

      I figured out the upload info in the shared files area last nite, Bob,
      so when you clear the space, let me know. I haven't decided which one to
      put up yet, but I have two good choices which I'll mention below. I
      messed around with the shareware cool edit a little last nite, and will
      be messing some more soon. How did you get around being able to only use
      2 of the functions at a time? Did you save it piece by piece as you
      added effects and such? MusicMatch has a converter built in so it's easy
      to convert the files from MP3 to wav for me. I did notice that it wasn't
      cooledit that you used to reduce the size, and, in messing around, found
      the functions all built into MusicMatch already. (Man, I LOVE this
      program - too bad your cd-rom wasn't compatible) I haven't tried it yet,
      but I'm sure it will all work fine with a little nose to the screen, so
      to speak. As for the space thing, that would be great if you could put
      up a spot on the ProgAndOther page. I think if we keep pushing the idea
      more people will catch on. It's so easy and there is so much music
      avialable. I can't wait to get a cd-r so I can start running some stuff
      from my massive collection of bootlegs and rarities. I'm sure there are
      some things I have on casette that would interest many of you out there
      and I'd love to share 'em. I also can't wait to be able to post music
      from my own band. It's a great way for local bands to get their music
      out to the world. Very cool and anything that cuts out the record labels
      can't be bad at all.

      Blatant Plug

      I am an active trader, as I mentioned above, so I figure I'll take
      this opportunity to fish for anyone looking to trade. I have mucho
      Kansas and a huge audio and vid list. E-me privately for more info.

      David Ragsdale

      I don't know if this was ever run through the Kansas list but......
      the other day I recorded the Smashing Pumpkins on a Comedy Central rerun
      of SNL and it motivated me to dig out my copy of "Siamese Dream", their
      disc from '93, and, lo and behold in the liner notes, David Ragsdale
      played and arranged the violin on the Pumpkins hit of that time "Today".
      That song assaulted fm radio back in '93/'94 but it took on a new twist
      knowing that it was Rags. How cool! He also is on the track "Luna" from
      the same album. I uploaded "Today" as an MP3 and I wondered if any of
      you would like me to post that file to the site. I could also do "Luna",
      which is more obscure, but a way less prominent piece. Rags makes
      "Today" better to me now than it ever was. The other file I have in mind
      to upload is............

      Fates Warning

      "We Only Say Goodbye" live, assumably from the album "Still Life". In
      case no one noticed I really love Fates and this is the first file I
      downloaded from the web when I first tried out MP3's. It wasn't labeled
      properly, so I'm not sure it's the cut from "Still Life" (I can't
      believe I don't have that record) but I do think it is. So those of you
      who might try these files let me know which you'd like to hear, if at
      all. I could put up some local Detroit stuff too. Requests, anyone?

      Blah, Blah, Blah,

      So that's it for now, talk to you all soon, have a groovy Saturday.
      Ginny, the beginning of my review of your tape is below.

      Piece,
      Terry

      Review of Ginny Landgraf�s ProgAndOther sampler tape
      By: Terry Alan Martin

      Gentle Giant �Pantagruels�s Nativity�
      Well, I really liked the instrumental section in the middle, but I had
      a hard time getting past the vocal sections in this particular song. The
      break was musically Kansas reminiscent and, being my first listen to GG,
      left me seeing why prog fans seem to be into this. Very intense, but I
      can't get past the falsettoishness (Wow, good word!) of the voice. This
      is also very complex lyrically and I kind of got lost in the
      translation.
      Gentle Giant �On Reflection�
      The complex harmonies at the beginning, mostly sung acapella (how the
      hell do you spell that anyway?), are a definate representation of the
      skills of GG vocally. As the song moves into the verse the vocal melody
      is unique, and reminds me of Canadian folk music, not that Canadian folk
      is really a genre, or something. Phenomenal ending, reminding me of the
      few Yes songs that I actually like. All in all a very convoluted
      arrangement that seems to musically rub against the lyrical theme of
      separation, divorce or however you interpret the lyrics. Ginny, thanks
      for taking the time to include the lyrics. Having them helped my ability
      to get past the actual vocal tonalities and into the lyricism.
      Gentle Giant �The Face�
      Whoa! This is the same band? This is freakin� great. The chord-bass
      section in the elongated solo is wailin�. Excellent guitar work, the
      rhythm is pulsating, the vocals remind me of the guy from Mr. Mister,
      which is, oddly enough, a good thing. Maybe even Santana. I love this!
      The violin is used perfectly within the context of things, and this is
      borderline funk. Seems GG got a little sniff of George Clinton along the
      highway somewhere. This is really aggressive playing and the way the
      grooves of each instrument wrap around each other is astonishing. I also
      dig that swirling, Leslie speaker sound in the break just before the
      massive tempo shift. This is a bit mathematical, and is a song that will
      leap out at musicians and fans of bands such as Kansas and Yes.
      Thai Saw Player �Lum Plern�
      Never thought I�d be interested in hearing a Thai saw, and now I know
      why. Sounds like background music to �Good Morning Vietnam�. Not to be
      insulting, mind you. I just can�t get into this. It would be a really
      intense guitar transcription though. The player is obviously very
      talented.

      That's it so far, Ginny. More to come soon.

      NP - SPONGE - "All American World" from their latest release "New Pop
      Sunday"
    • AllGdPple@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 1999
        tam777@... writes:

        << Gentle Giant �On Reflection�
        The complex harmonies at the beginning, mostly sung acapella (how the
        hell do you spell that anyway?), are a definate representation of the
        skills of GG vocally. As the song moves into the verse the vocal melody
        is unique, and reminds me of Canadian folk music, not that Canadian folk
        is really a genre, or something. Phenomenal ending, reminding me of the
        few Yes songs that I actually like. All in all a very convoluted
        arrangement that seems to musically rub against the lyrical theme of
        separation, divorce or however you interpret the lyrics. Ginny, thanks
        for taking the time to include the lyrics. Having them helped my ability
        to get past the actual vocal tonalities and into the lyricism. >>

        the instrumental section imitates the preceding vocals and is pure fugue.
        Free Hand is a great album.....BTW.......most of the rest of it really rocks.
        the subject matter concerns the divorce between GG and their label. some of
        the other songs are very angry too.

        << Gentle Giant �The Face�
        Whoa! This is the same band? This is freakin� great. The chord-bass
        section in the elongated solo is wailin�. Excellent guitar work, the
        rhythm is pulsating, the vocals remind me of the guy from Mr. Mister,
        which is, oddly enough, a good thing. Maybe even Santana. I love this!
        The violin is used perfectly within the context of things, and this is
        borderline funk. Seems GG got a little sniff of George Clinton along the
        highway somewhere. This is really aggressive playing and the way the
        grooves of each instrument wrap around each other is astonishing. I also
        dig that swirling, Leslie speaker sound in the break just before the
        massive tempo shift. This is a bit mathematical, and is a song that will
        leap out at musicians and fans of bands such as Kansas and Yes.
        Thai Saw Player �Lum Plern� >>

        each GG album is unique in it's conception both musically and lyrically. all
        well worth the time and money IMO.

        << Thai Saw Player �Lum Plern�
        Never thought I�d be interested in hearing a Thai saw, and now I know
        why. Sounds like background music to �Good Morning Vietnam�. Not to be
        insulting, mind you. I just can�t get into this. It would be a really
        intense guitar transcription though. The player is obviously very
        talented. >>

        i'm drooling Ginny.......can't wait to hear this.

        kenny
      • Stevesly@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 1999
          Terry wrote:

          >>During the Where Are They Now series (I can't
          forget during exactly what artist) they did a camera zoom-in on an old
          top 100 list and as they zoomed in I noticed Mike Oldfield's Tubular
          Bells charted at 37 or something like that. It might have even been
          higher. Ever seen that Jerry? When did this song chart? What was number
          one at the time? Geez, it's bugging me that I can't remember whose song
          they were zooming in on at the top of that chart. Any cluez?<<

          The very much edited single version of Tubular Bells did indeed make it into
          the American top 40 back in the 70�s. I don�t remember the date, but it was
          shortly after the album and the movie �The Exorcist� were released. I have
          no idea how high it got, but it was by far Mike Oldfields most successful
          album in the U.S. (part of the reason he keeps going back to Tubular Bells
          II, and Tubular Bells III).

          Steve Sly
          (NP- Rush - Different Stages Live)