Re: Some thoughts on NEARFest '03

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
      One thing I forgot to mention in my long, rambling post - the
      light show. It was impressive, but personally I'd rather watch
      the bands than the lights. It seemed like during quiet parts
      the lights were often too low to see much on stage, and during
      upbeat sections the lights were usually going crazy to the point
      where they were distracting from the music. Not to mention the
      times the lights were shining directly out into the audience's
      eyes, making it impossible to watch the bands. Note to whoever
      was running the lights: Make it bright enough to see the bands,
      but other than that have yourself a beer and relax.

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • progluvr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
        In a message dated 7/1/2003 7:53:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, eichler@... writes:

        ne thing I forgot to mention in my long, rambling post - the
        light show.  It was impressive, but personally I'd rather watch
        the bands than the lights.  It seemed like during quiet parts
        the lights were often too low to see much on stage, and during
        upbeat sections the lights were usually going crazy to the point
        where they were distracting from the music.  Not to mention the
        times the lights were shining directly out into the audience's
        eyes, making it impossible to watch the bands.  Note to whoever
        was running the lights:  Make it bright enough to see the bands,
        but other than that have yourself a beer and relax.

        Yes!!! Most definitely agree with you on this.  It also made taking pictures without a flash difficult.  It's nice to have some colored lights and maybe a bit of a background but the wild light gyrations mostly are NOT needed.

        Deb S.
        "The Prog-Rock Diner"
        www.fcac.org   (WEBR)
        ProgDay!
        www.progday.com
      • Noah Lesgold
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
          On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, biceeichler wrote:

          > One thing I forgot to mention in my long, rambling post - the light
          > show. It was impressive, but personally I'd rather watch the bands
          > than the lights. It seemed like during quiet parts the lights were
          > often too low to see much on stage, and during upbeat sections the
          > lights were usually going crazy to the point where they were
          > distracting from the music. Not to mention the times the lights were
          > shining directly out into the audience's eyes, making it impossible to
          > watch the bands. Note to whoever was running the lights: Make it
          > bright enough to see the bands, but other than that have yourself a
          > beer and relax.

          I pretty much agree. Camel's set was actually the biggest offender in
          this regard, constantly shining the spots in the eyes of the audience.
          I did think they did a good job during Anglagard's set, though, where
          they did go pretty nuts during the crazier bits, but in a way that I
          thought emphasized rather than distracting from what they were doing.

          That said, the set where the lights made me the happiest was Magma's,
          where they basically just lit up the stage, hit the Magma signal, and
          let the music speak for itself.

          I also wanted to say, I think the sound was excellent for almost all the
          bands. Tunnels was kind of so-so, though, with the vibes too low during
          the early part of their set. Anglagard's sound was fantastic, as was
          Camel's. Glass Hammer could have used a better mix - particularly at
          the end with the chorus, it was hard to make them out.

          --
          Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
          nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold ICQ: 132716231

          "The only thing that Yes and King Crimson could agree on was that neither
          of them liked Genesis." --Bill Bruford
        • progluvr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
            In a message dated 7/1/2003 8:16:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nlesgold@... writes:

            That said, the set where the lights made me the happiest was Magma's,
            where they basically just lit up the stage, hit the Magma signal, and
            let the music speak for itself.

            Somehow I have a feeling that Magma demanded this and I'm glad.  I agree....their lighting was perfect for their set.

            Deb S.
            "The Prog-Rock Diner"
            www.fcac.org     WEBR
            ProgDay!
            www.progday.com
          • Noah Lesgold
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
              On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 progluvr@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 7/1/2003 8:16:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > nlesgold@... writes:
              >
              > > That said, the set where the lights made me the happiest was Magma's,
              > > where they basically just lit up the stage, hit the Magma signal, and
              > > let the music speak for itself.
              >
              > Somehow I have a feeling that Magma demanded this and I'm glad. I
              > agree....their lighting was perfect for their set.

              I wish I had a Magma signal. When evil threatened, I would shine it on
              the side of the Cathedral of Learning, and Magma would be summoned to
              save the day. It would rule.

              (for that to make more sense, this is what the cathedral looks like:
              http://www.pitt.edu/~univrel/ptd/zpiccl.html )

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
                In a message dated 7/1/2003 10:18:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nlesgold@... writes:

                I wish I had a Magma signal.  When evil threatened, I would shine it on
                the side of the Cathedral of Learning, and Magma would be summoned to
                save the day.  It would rule.

                (for that to make more sense, this is what the cathedral looks like:
                http://www.pitt.edu/~univrel/ptd/zpiccl.html )

                Ah! Yes, I see that could work!  : )  That's a pretty impressive piece of architecture...

                Deb S.