Re: [ProgAndOther] Peter Gabriel In Detroit

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2002
      In a message dated 12/4/2002 10:03:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, alevin@... writes:

      > Actually, that tour started with Sinead O'Connor as the backing vocalist,
      > but after she flipped out, Cole replaced her while the tour was in
      > progress.<<

      I was not aware of that. I actually did not see him on that tour, but have the album and have seen the film. Cole was a very big part of what made that production work IMO.

      > I'm not sure if the set list has changed at all, but she was swapping
      > leads on "Downside Up" when we saw him in Philadelphia.<<

      Yes, he did do this one (literally "upside down") and she did share the lead vocal.

      >>My wife and I both
      > thought that she was passable as a background singer when they didn't put
      > her too far up in the mix, but frankly we were cringing on her leads and
      > didn't think she had the talent required to be up there on stage
      > performing with the world-class musicians in Peter's band.<<

      Pretty much my thoughts as well.

      > He did one new song in Philadelphia which was kind of poppy. The others
      > that he played which you might not have heard before are the tracks from
      > the Ovo/Millennium Dome CD; the aforementioned "Downside
      > Up" and the
      > closer "Father and Son".<<

      He did not do "Father and Son" in Detroit. I believe in most cities that has been his final encore, but he did not do the third encore in Detroit due to the fact that most of the audience was already leaving before the lights came up.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2002
        --- In ProgAndOther@y..., Adam Levin <alevin@d...> wrote:

        > Funniest occasion of prog-dancing I recall was a Boud Deun show at
        > Phantasmagoria (R.I.P.) where two young women got up and got their
        > groove on during Boud Deun's set.

        I can't even imagine how one would dance to Boud Deun. Could
        easily lead to injuries to the dancers and all around them.

        My nomination for funniest prog-dancing would have to go to
        the Captain's kung-fu-fighting dance that he's done a couple
        times at ProgDay. (I'm not sure if the Captain is still
        around the P&O list - if so, no offense intended Capt).

        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2002
          The only dancing I ever see(at a prog.event) is The Captain at the
          Nearfest shows!
          Pete
        • Trebrosaurus Rob
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2002
             All in all a great show, it just would have been nice to have a few more bodies in the house.

            Maybe, like me, they decided that $80 was better spend on the inevitable DVD release and about 5 local, live shows where you're so close you can hear the guitarist pick his strings.

            Things like NEARfest excepted, I'm pretty much permanently off big shows, due to cost.

            Rob
            NP: Jesus Christ Superstar, disc 2 (the sad one)