Ozric Tentacles

  • all4rains
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2002

      I'm curious what everyone here has to say about Ozric Tentacles...I just discovered this wonderful band (got a CDR of a live show of theirs), & I'm very curious about these guys. I've heard of them for some time, but never really knew what to expect from them. They're sort of a great mix of instrumental space/metal/psych-fusion that rocks! What CDs of theirs can anybody recommend? I gotta' hear more from these guys.....

      ~Brett

      np: Mexico City, 2001 - Le Orme

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "all4rains" <all4rains@m...> wrote:

        > I'm curious what everyone here has to say about Ozric Tentacles...
        > I just discovered this wonderful band (got a CDR of a live show of
        > theirs), & I'm very curious about these guys. I've heard of them
        > for some time, but never really knew what to expect from them.
        > They're sort of a great mix of instrumental space/metal/psych-
        > fusion that rocks! What CDs of theirs can anybody recommend? I
        > gotta' hear more from these guys.....

        The first Ozrics CD I bought was _Jurassic Shift_ (knew nothing
        about the band, just thought the cover looked interesting) and
        it's probably still my favorite. The 2-disc _Afterswish_ set
        is a good collection of their early stuff. _Waterfall Cities_
        is my favorite of their more recent CDs. BTW, I only own five
        of their albums, but I've borrowed the rest from a co-worker
        who's a big Ozrics fan - IMHO, you really only need a few of
        their albums. They're all good, but they tend to be very similar.
        Maybe get _Afterswish_, plus one album from the early/mid-90s and
        one recent one. Then if you really want more, there's plenty to
        choose from.

        I'd love to see one of the prog fests get Ozric Tentacles to play
        (preferrably NEARFest or ProgDay, so I can go see it).

        Oh yeah, if you haven't already heard Gong's Teapot trilogy, get
        that and see where the Ozrics got their inspiration.

        -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
      • Jerry Keller
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
          interesting partial interview with guy leblanc of nathan mahl.
          especially the clever use story.
          and jose bergeron is my favorite guitarist!!
          (thats for you, guy, if you read this.)

          http://www.progressive-newsletter.de/index_e.htm
        • Jerry Keller
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
            --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "all4rains" <all4rains@m...> wrote:

            > I'm curious what everyone here has to say about Ozric Tentacles...
            > I just discovered this wonderful band (got a CDR of a live show of
            > theirs), & I'm very curious about these guys. I've heard of them
            > for some time, but never really knew what to expect from them.
            > They're sort of a great mix of instrumental space/metal/psych-
            > fusion that rocks! What CDs of theirs can anybody recommend? I
            > gotta' hear more from these guys.....

            when i first heard them i liked them. i bought curious corn, liked it and
            then i went to see them. i was bored to tears.
            the opening act was the star people and i loved them... OT came on and i
            actually enjoyed the first couple of songs. but i think they could have
            played those two for another hour and it would have sounded the same to my
            ears. very repetitive to say the least.
            jerry
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
              The only album I have by them is "Jurassic Shift" and to be honest it really does not do much for me. They are very fine musicians, but it did not compell me to go out and pick up any more of their stuff.

              Steve Sly
              (NP - Peter Gabriel - 3)
            • Pete
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
                Nice interview Jerry-thanks for the link!
                Pete

                Jerry Keller wrote:

                >interesting partial interview with guy leblanc of nathan mahl.
                >especially the clever use story.
                >and jose bergeron is my favorite guitarist!!
                >(thats for you, guy, if you read this.)
                >
                >http://www.progressive-newsletter.de/index_e.htm

              • Storey, Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                  I'm a pretty big fan of the OT guys and have a bunch of their stuff. I tend
                  to agree (ever so slightly) that their music has a "same-ness" quality to
                  it. I guess that doesn't bother me.

                  If I had to recommend a single disc, I would suggest Erpland. Its one of
                  their earlier ones and tends to be fairly divergent from track to track.
                  Pungent Effulgent and Jurassic Shift come in 2nd and 3rd for me. There are
                  some discs that have solid color with a black drawing. These are from the
                  OOP box set (Ethereal Cereal if I remember right). They contain material
                  from the 80's. There's a slight reggae feel to those discs.

                  They haven't broken much new ground since the mid 90s, but I did enjoy the
                  Waterfall Cities disc better that the couple before it. They've got a new
                  live one, Live at the Pongmaster's Ball. It has some of their older material
                  on it, but most of the tracks are from their recent discs.

                  cheers
                  db (who is somewhat settled in Houston and finally has time to read P&O)

                  np- gary moore - scars (good one if you like Gary, and/or electric guitar
                  oriented blues)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                    * Storey, Scott (scott.storey@...) wrote:
                    > There are some discs that have solid color with a black drawing. These are
                    > from the OOP box set (Ethereal Cereal if I remember right). They contain
                    > material from the 80's. There's a slight reggae feel to those discs.

                    I think these have been re-released by Snapper with new artwork. Tanric
                    Obstacles / Erpsongs, There is Nothing / Live Ethereal Cereal, and The Bits
                    Between The Bits / Sliding Gliding World have been released as double CDs. The
                    quality varies from poor bootleg to decent.

                    I like what they've done with Strangitude, as well as "The Hidden Step". More
                    trippy and techo sounding than their prior works.

                    The Live DVD is very good, too, although I think they're more of a band to
                    listen to than watch on stage. Jumping John (the floutist) is quite distracting
                    on the video.

                    Craig Maloney (craig@...) http://ic.net/~craig
                    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world
                    owes you nothing. It was here first. -- Mark Twain
                  • Adam Levin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                      On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Storey, Scott wrote:

                      > I'm a pretty big fan of the OT guys and have a bunch of their stuff. I tend
                      > to agree (ever so slightly) that their music has a "same-ness" quality to
                      > it. I guess that doesn't bother me.
                      >
                      > If I had to recommend a single disc, I would suggest Erpland. Its one of
                      > their earlier ones and tends to be fairly divergent from track to track.

                      As someone who has *every* Ozric's CD (including the psuedo cereal box
                      set), I concur with the "Erpland" suggestion. I also have a particular
                      fondness for the live CD "Live Underslunky" which was my first taste of
                      the Ozrics 10 years ago.

                      -Adam

                      ----
                      T h e D a r k A e t h e r P r o j e c t
                      http://www.darkaether.net/

                      ** The new CD "The Gentle Art of Firewalking" is available from:
                      Amazon.com - Artist-Shop.com - CDBaby.com - CDStreet.com - LaserCD.com
                      MandMMusic.com - OSMind.com - SynPhonic.8m.com - WaysideMusic.com
                    • Craig Maloney
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                        * Adam Levin (alevin@...) wrote:
                        > On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Storey, Scott wrote:
                        >
                        > As someone who has *every* Ozric's CD (including the psuedo cereal box
                        > set), I concur with the "Erpland" suggestion. I also have a particular
                        > fondness for the live CD "Live Underslunky" which was my first taste of
                        > the Ozrics 10 years ago.

                        I find it interesting that there's a trend in favorite Ozric CDs. I've noticed
                        other people who have mentioned their favorite Ozrics CDs being the first ones
                        they heard. For me, one of my favorites, and the one that I thoroughly enjoy is
                        Waterfall Cities (the first one that I got) which has the first and
                        consequently my favorite track I've ever heard from then. (Coily).

                        Just an observation. Carry on. :)