Salem Hill News

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2002
      Carl Groves wrote a few comments about the new album they are working on and since there are quite a few SH fans on this list I thought I would post them:

      >> I'll give you
      what I can. But, I think that because of the scope of the new album's
      subject matter, I don't foresee any concrete explanation on the
      concept/story ever being given. Here are some general facts, tho:
      We're calling it "Be". It's conceptual/thematic. Already, though
      still in its infancy, it's easily the most collaborative project SH
      has ever done. I'll say that for me personally, it has some
      autobiographical content...and when you read the lyrics, that'll
      probably disturb you. I'll predict that many SH fans will be quite
      upset by the disturbing content of album...and they should be. Folks
      looking for a simple, spiritually packaged, feel-good message will be
      disappointed. Folks willing to dig a little deeper won't. Folks
      looking for a Christian album will be disappointed. Christians
      looking for a good album won't. As to the sound? Who knows. Pat's
      contributions are quite heavy. Mike's music is, of course, much
      different. My stuff is all over the place. I've spent this past week
      writing and demoing quite a lot. And on playback it sounds like
      Supertramp meets Crimson meets Genesis meets Tool meets the Beatles
      meets King's X meets Klaatu. In other words it sounds
      like...well...me sounding like SH. Once the 4 of us put our
      respective personal stamps on each other's stuff, it'll obviously
      sound like a Hillion record, tho, hopefully better than the ones
      we've done before. That's certainly our intention. But, as Gracie has
      accurately pointed out, that'll be subject to the opinions of each
      one of you. <<

      Steve Sly
      (NP - Glass Hammer - Lex Rex)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Since I know there some Salem Hill fans here I thought I would pass this along from Carl Groves:

        Happy New Year to you all. I just wanted to share some info on what
        the Hill is up to at this 2002-2003 cusp.

        Yesterday, I got word from Cyclops that they will begin replication
        of the live album next week. Therefore, they should be ready for
        retail in Europe by month's end. We'll get a limited shipment to sell
        from salemhill.com a little later. I realize I'm preaching to the
        choir here, but I really believe you'll all groove on this record.
        It's...well...fun!

        The band will be done with the pre-production work for the new studio
        album early next week. We'll begin recording shortly thereafter.
        Without trying to be coy or be a tease, I will say that I can't
        remember being this excited about a Salem Hill album. This is the
        first time Pat and I have written together since "Catatonia", and the
        first time Mike and I have written together since we roomed together
        in college. I'm really looking forward to sharing this album with all
        of you.

        Again, my best wishes to all of you for the new year.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
          This from Carl Groves of Salem Hill:

          Greetings, Peculiar People!

          The new Salem Hill live album, "Puppet Show", is now available. Comprised of
          recordings taken from outdoor festivals, cheesy little clubs, and Salem
          Hill's fan party last July, "Puppet Show" is 110 minutes (2 CDs) of rip
          roaring fun. Also included in this compilation is a brand new Salem Hill
          studio track entitled "Waiting for Wonderfulness."

          So if you're needing a fix of SH to tide you over till the new studio
          release of "Be" later this year, or if you just want to hear the boys sing,
          play and make merriment on stage with depraved abandon, go to salemhill.com
          and order your copy of "Puppet Show" today!

          And, as always, we genuflect to you all.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2003
            Here is the latest from Carl Groves of Salem Hill:

            Spent this past week recording Pat's bass tracks to "Be" and am so
            juiced I have to share it with you.

            We finished drums last week and plunged right in to recording bass.
            Amazingly, we will be done with bass next week. I've already recorded
            a lot of my rhythm and acoustic guitar tracks, so it looks like we're
            actually *past* the halfway mark of the instrument tracks!

            But the most telling aspect of our sessions thus far is what I'm
            hearing from my comrades. Before Kevin came in in early March, I was
            telling my Hillion brothers that I feel "Be" could be something
            really special. I didn't get the rolled eyes, but I imagine they're
            used to seeing my early-in-the-going enthusiasm. However, they're
            also used to seeing it fade as the weariness of the recording process
            takes it toll. Folks, I'm still singing these silly tunes in my car
            having written or co-written 'em months and months ago. And each
            session I participate in gets me even more excited. My bandmates are
            more...er...staid in their emotions. However, after completing his
            tracks, Kevin said, "easily the finest thing I've ever done." And
            last night, Pat said, "this stuff sounds better than 'The Robbery.'"

            And they're both right.

            Steve Sly
            (NP - Camel - The Paris Collection)