RE: [ProgAndOther] ProgDay, ProgWest & NF 2K3

  • Phil Bastanchury
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 4 9:43 AM
      I'm pretty excited I have to admit. That excitement is tempered by the fact
      that I've already seen them twice, but it will still be quite cool to see
      other folks' reactions to them! NF has never seen an act anything like
      them.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 4 9:56 AM
        Glad that you are felling better Bob. Toothpain can really srew up
        everything!

        Peace-
        Jim

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4 10:16 AM
          --- In ProgAndOther@y..., Phil Bastanchury <philb@c...> wrote:

          > I gotta ask a favor, though. Once you've had a chance to listen to
          > the Avant Garden CD (perhaps you already have), could you let me or
          > the list know how it compares to their live performance?

          By odd coincidence, I'm listening to the CD for the first time
          right now (just got into the big 18 minute final track).

          > Reason I ask is that I purchased the Avant Garden disc to prepare
          > for Progwest, and find it utterly boring. There's nothing "bad"
          > about it, it just seems like the songs go on and on without any
          > energy to support them. The word I'd use to describe it
          > is "sterile".
          >
          > When in your review you point out that they reminded you a bit of
          > Gong and that they covered Master Builder, I can't imagine the band
          > I heard on the CD doing that. I'm really hoping that they're a
          > band that just needs to be experienced live. I've found a number
          > of bands that just blew me away live whose studio work just doesn't
          > seem to capture that "spark" and puts me to sleep. With any luck,
          > Avant Garden is another one of those.

          Hmmm, I kind of don't know what to say to that. I liked the band's
          live set, and so far I'm really enjoying the CD. They did have an
          higher level of energy when they played live, but I'm also enjoying
          the sound quality and subtlties of the studio disc. I hate to say
          it, but if you don't like the studio album, you probably won't like
          the live show either as it wasn't that different. Maybe you'll dig
          the Master Builder cover though.

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
        • Phil Bastanchury
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4 10:17 AM
            I'll give the CD a few more listens to see if maybe I just haven't been "in
            the right mood" so far.

            Thanks!
            Phil

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4 10:35 AM
              --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "the_original_ib" <sean@n...> wrote:

              > We were definitely checking tickets, but in a lot of cases we
              > either knew the people & that they had already bought tickets,
              > or we had checked them once and remembered their face, and so on.

              Yeah, I guess since the same people show up every year, it's
              pretty easy to know who has a ticket and who doesn't.

              > It's not a project of the ProgDay organizers per se. It's
              > essentially a joint project between Peter and myself, in which
              > I am the primary investor. Gerhard and Mike Prete also contributed
              > money towards the recording part. The bands all had the opportunity
              > to listen to CDRs of their performance and choose the material we
              > could use. Two of the bands didn't care what we used (Snopek and
              > Arsnova) so we got to pick ourselves.

              Nice choices for Arsnova. I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but the
              tracks you (the group you) picked are all pretty nice. But that
              Snopek stuff...man, am I the only one who has no use for Sigmund's
              music at all? At least it's only 24 minutes worth of stuff, even
              if it does have 10,000 titles. ;-)

              The Yeti tracks are kicking my ass (and I think damaged the front
              speakers in my car on the way home, but that's my fault for playing
              them so loud), and the Polydactyl and Azigza stuff is cool too.

              Oh, and it's a very nice touch to have dedicated the set to the
              memory of Doug Ferguson. Very cool.

              > In the case of the Muffins, it was totally their choice what to
              > use. They felt those were the two tracks they pulled off the best.
              > They are a very self-critical band, so even stuff that we all
              > thought was great they thought was problematic for one reason or
              > another.

              Ah, those musicians, whatareyagonnado?

              > You wouldn't believe it, but we actually caught people trying to
              > sneak in, and I'm sure some managed to do it and weren't caught. I
              > can't express how low you have to be to steal from a prog festival
              > without descending into a hateful tirade, so I won't :).

              Let me take a stab at it - if any of you cheapskates are reading
              this, YOU SUCK. Hope next time Happy the Herion Addict plows into
              you and you DON'T come away unscathed. If you're caught next time,
              I'll personally help hold you upside down until all the cash is
              shaken from your pockets and into the ProgDay coffers.

              > It just makes you appreciate the fact that most of our attendees
              > are honest, decent people.

              Which reminds me, at various points during the weekend I left my
              backpack, my CDs, my tape recorder, my microphones, my camcorder,
              my book and my sweatshirt lying unguarded in the theater to mark
              my seat, as did other folks. As far as I know, nothing got ripped
              off all weekend. That's amazing.

              > The move indoors definitely had an impact on some of the
              > organization. I was supposed to do at least one band introduction,
              > but was doing stuff in the lobby and entered the theatre to find
              > the band starting their set. Basically in a situation like the one
              > we were in you don't sweat the small stuff and just worry about
              > what is essential to getting the show done.

              Yeah, the important thing is that all the bands got to play full
              sets and started at least reasonably on time. If it ever gets
              held indoors again though, someone needs to buy an airhorn or
              something to alert people out in the lobby that the show is about
              to start up again.

              > This part of the weekend was a highlight for me, cuz it was the
              > first time there was no stress. All the chaos was over, I had a
              > preliminary idea of the numbers, and I was receiving free beer.

              How late did the pool party go? Did I miss anything after 1am?

              > Free beer is a good thing.

              There are very few undenyably true statements in the universe, but
              that's one of them.

              > We are currently having a discussion amongst the festival investors
              > to determine how to make sure an event can happen next year
              > regardless of the movement of people out of the organization.
              > Nothing is insurmountable as long as you have people to do the work.

              That is excellent news. I was developing a great fear that the
              little stroll I took around Storybook last year during Pain of
              Salvation's set would be the last time I ever saw the place.

              -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

              Hmmm, what to play next...Abandonship, Discus, Bandwidth, Proto-Kaw...
            • ASly64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4 10:47 AM

                How late did the pool party go?  Did I miss anything after 1am?

                Ummmm, some of us were there until 7:00am.  Of course the beer ran out about 4:00 :(

                Anne Sly
              • Stephen Ellis
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4 10:47 AM
                  Lord God knows that is true. Their music turns me off totally however.

                  C MDA

                  I bet your wetting your pants for NF 2K3 now that Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum
                  has been added!

                  Avant Garden did come across better live than on CD, I still could not get
                  totally into them, the harshness of the sax really turned me off.

                  C MDA

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> 4
                  DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/jGKolB/TM

                  ---
                  The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
                  To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

                • Noah Lesgold
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4 11:19 AM
                    On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Stephen Ellis wrote:

                    > Lord God knows that is true. Their music turns me off totally however.

                    I think they might get even you bopping, Cap'n. I'd certainly give 'em
                    a chance. Worst case, they'll definitely wake you up Sunday morning!

                    --
                    Noah Lesgold http://nlesgold.freeshell.org/
                    nlesgold@... AIM: nlesgold ICQ: 132716231

                    elves: A smart but weak humanoid species with a flavourful but ultimately
                    meaningless name, and which may grant sleep resistance when eaten.
                    --rec.games.roguelike.nethack unofficial glossary
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 4 3:30 PM
                      Bob wrote:

                      .  >>When
                      the doors finally opened, tickets were thoroughly checked for the
                      first time all weekend, since<<

                      Just for the record.........for the 9 hours that I spent at the door over the course of the weekend, I checked everyone's ticket.  In your case (and others) I already knew you and knew that you bought a weekend pass, so I did not need to check yours.  I cannot speak for others who worked the door over the weekend.

                      As Sean mentioned, we did actually have several people try to sneak in without paying.  It boggles the mind, some people just don't understand how close all of these festivals are to not existing at all....

                      Steve Sly
                      (NP - Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation)
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 4 3:31 PM
                        BTW Bob, Great Review!!!

                        Steve
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 4 3:33 PM
                          Sean wrote:

                          >>The move indoors definitely had an impact on some of the
                          organization. I was supposed to do at least one band introduction,
                          but was doing stuff in the lobby and entered the theatre to find the
                          band starting their set. <<

                          Yup, the same thing happened to me.  I was supposed to introduce IZZ, but got tied up out front and did not make it down to the stage in time.  I think a lot of this would not have happened if we were at Storybook, but.........

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 5 6:59 AM
                            Just for the record.........for the 9 hours that I spent at the door over the course of the weekend, I checked everyone's ticket.  In your case (and others) I already knew you and knew that you bought a weekend pass, so I did not need to check yours.  I cannot speak for others who worked the door over the weekend.

                            Part of being a regular is the fact that we are known.  No one needed to check for my or Jo's tickets as they knew we had purchased them as any "family" member would.

                            As Sean mentioned, we did actually have several people try to sneak in without paying.  It boggles the mind, some people just don't understand how close all of these festivals are to not existing at all....
                            This I find really disturbing.  I mean, if you liked HtM then why not check out the other bands.  Anyway, if a HtM fan stole a seat the cosmic prog gods will extract justice at some point.

                            My hats off to the entire ProgDay staff for yet another job well done.  Will we get a bottom line on the event outcome?  I'm sure the event would have been in the black had it not been moved.  Gosh darn it all.

                            C MDA

                            ---
                            The "Prog and Other" Mailing List -
                            To Unsubscribe, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProgAndOther/

                          • roylayer
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 6 1:52 PM
                              --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "biceeichler" <eichler@e...> wrote:
                              > Nice choices for Arsnova. I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but the
                              > tracks you (the group you) picked are all pretty nice. But that
                              > Snopek stuff...man, am I the only one who has no use for Sigmund's
                              > music at all? At least it's only 24 minutes worth of stuff, even
                              > if it does have 10,000 titles. ;-)

                              That's funny, Bob. As I listened to the Snopek music on the CD, it
                              struck me that they sounded like Zappa in spots - or at least had his
                              attitude - and I know how much of a Zappa fan you are. Personally, I
                              love Sigmund's stuff. You can blame/thank me for being one of the
                              main proponents of booking Sigmund for PD 2001. ;-) Basically, he
                              has a very non-typical approach to prog that I find refreshing.