So, how was NEARFest?

  • eichler@epix.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      I know half the attendees probably aren't even home yet,
      but since I won't be able to do my usual overly-long,
      overly-opinionated review, who's going to step up and
      fill the void and tell us all about NEARFest? :-)

      -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
    • Jeff Oaster
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        got home last night Bice. First off, the big news.

        MAGMA IS PLAYING NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

        As for the festival, my enjoyment of it was dampened for a number of
        reasons:

        a) With my wife being due any day now, I can waiting for the cell to go off
        and then having to sprint home. It limited how much I could enjoy things
        b) My MP3 player was stolen/lost and not returned to me on Saturday, thus
        making me generally crabby
        c) Two of the big-name bands (Nektar and Caravan) were totally unfamiliar to
        me. Caravan was very disappointing, actually. I left after the first hour.

        Other than that, I enjoyed myself.Hackett was awesome, La Torre d'ell
        Alchemista was impressive. Miriodor put on a phenomenal set. The bassist for
        Spaced Out is absolutely insane. Echolyn just reeked of pompous
        self-indulgent prog-snobbery (a string trio, flute, clarinet, two
        percussionists and a second guitarist rounded out their lineup when
        performing their new album) and put on an incredible set. Their original
        bassist even came out for a song.

        As a whole, I'd say very enjoyable. I just wish I didn't have a couple of
        distractions.

        By the way, Rob and Chad earn major points for the Magma announcement.
        Before the announcement was made, the PA was playing Marillion. When R + C
        walked out, they said, "The first band for next year beings with an "M",
        they're second letter is "A"" Chad then announced that he would read their
        press release, but remarked, "I should have looked at this first - It's
        written in Kobaian." The stunned crowd was either silent or ecstatic. (I was
        firmly in the ecstatic camp. I wore my Magma shirt on Saturday and received
        a number of "nice shirt" comments.)

        That's all for now, as I now have to go search for a new MP3 player, unpack,
        and pick up my daughter.

        jeff

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "Jeff Oaster" <jeffoaster@r...> wrote:

          > MAGMA IS PLAYING NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

          Excellent news! Guess I should start saving up for it now.
          Doesn't matter who else is playing, I'm not going to miss Magma.

          > b) My MP3 player was stolen/lost and not returned to me on
          > Saturday, thus making me generally crabby

          Pisser. I had a favorite sweatshirt stolen at the first NF
          (I was using it to mark my seat, and when I came back after
          one of the breaks it was gone). Probably not as expensive
          a loss as an MP3 player though.

          > Echolyn just reeked of pompous self-indulgent prog-snobbery

          At first I thought you were complaining, but I guess you meant
          that as a complement. :-)

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          NP: Smokin' Granny, _Sirius Matter_
        • Jeff Oaster
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002

            > Probably not as expensive
            a loss as an MP3 player though.
            About $200. Not good times at all

            > At first I thought
            you were complaining, but I guess you meant
            that as a complement.  :-)

            Very much so. They gave a very tight performance of their new album, and it will probably be the only time that it will be performed that way. Since I love echolyn, it was quite a special performance for me.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
              Bob wrote:

              >>I know half the attendees probably aren't even home yet,
              but since I won't be able to do my usual overly-long,
              overly-opinionated review, who's going to step up and
              fill the void and tell us all about NEARFest?  :-)<<

              In a word AWSOME!!!!  Not a weak performance on the bill.  I hope to post some more thoughts when I get some time.

              Steve Sly
              (NP - Nothing......I've got to give my ringing ears a rest :-)