IZZ at nearfest

  • jerry950@attbi.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2002
      at the IZZ website they have a listing for IZZ to play
      at the marriott ballroom in trenton 6/28 labeled as a
      nearfest after party. does anyone know about this? i
      hope its true.
      jerry
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2002
        jerry950@... writes:

        >at the IZZ website they have a listing for IZZ to play
        >at the marriott ballroom in trenton 6/28 labeled as a
        >nearfest after party. does anyone know about this? i
        >hope its true.<<

        That would be cool, but it is certainly going to make for a loooonnng ass day on Saturday.

        Steve Sly
        (NP - Gerard - Meridian)
      • Miller, Bryan
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2002

          Steve Sly wrote:
          <<That would be cool, but it is certainly going to make for a loooonnng ass day on Saturday.>>

          Well ... I'm sure Captain will have *something* to get you through.:-)

          Bryan Miller
          Athens, Alabama
          NP: Grand Funk Railroad - Good Singin' Good Playin'
        • Jerry Keller
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2002

            jerry950@... writes:

            >at the IZZ website they have a
            listing for IZZ to play
            >at the marriott ballroom in trenton 6/28 labeled
            as a
            >nearfest after party. does anyone know about this? i
            >hope
            its true.<<

            That would be cool, but it is certainly going to make for a loooonnng ass day on Saturday.
            Steve Sly

            yeah, it would but i'd be willing to skip spaced out on sunday morning . i'd rather see IZZ.
            jerry
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2002
              Jerry wrote:

              >yeah, it would but i'd be willing to skip spaced out on sunday morning . i'd
              >rather see IZZ.
              >jerry<<

              Have you heard any of Spaced Out's stuff? I think they are quite good.

              Steve Sly
              (NP - Gerard - Meridian)
              Message 6 of 14 , May 7, 2002
                Bryan wrote:

                >Well ... I'm sure Captain will have *something* to get you through.:-<<

                No doubt, I am sure that is true, although I don't know if he loves me anymore with his recent Progday rants :-)

                Steve Sly
                (NP - Gerard - Meridian)
              • Stephen Ellis
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2002
                  Not for me. I find the entire idea of bands "making events" that follow an
                  event such as NF (just as Crucible did at last ProgDay) is very lame.

                  I'll shoot my wad at the bands I paid to see, after that, I'm not paying to
                  see anyone else. As much as I think IZZ should be playing a major US prog
                  event (oh. I'm sorry, The Muffins get to play two years in a row @ ProgDay)
                  I will NOT be seeing them this time around....

                  Poor planning on those music fest that follow NEARFest....

                  C MDA

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2002
                    "Stephen Ellis" <Stephen_Ellis@s...> wrote:

                    > Not for me. I find the entire idea of bands "making events" that
                    > follow an event such as NF (just as Crucible did at last ProgDay)
                    > is very lame.

                    No one is requiring you to go, or to pay extra if you don't want
                    to see it.

                    Some of the best sets of music I've seen have been "side events"
                    related to ProgDay. The Bon Lozaga/Ozone Quartet Saturday night
                    show a couple years ago, and the Polydactyl and Smokin' Granny
                    Friday night shows were all excellent.

                    > (oh. I'm sorry, The Muffins get to play two years in a row @
                    > ProgDay) I will NOT be seeing them this time around....

                    Are you a Discipline fan? Did you complain when they played
                    six years in a row? Come to think of if, Kevin Gilbert played
                    ProgFest, and yet you seem excited to see his music played again.

                    You seem to have some personal grudge against ProgDay this
                    year - is it just because they didn't load up the band list
                    with all the neoprog bands you personally wanted to see?

                    -- Bob "Bice" Eichler, back from vacation and already stressed out
                  • Jerry Keller
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2002
                      thw captain said

                      Not for me. I find the entire idea of bands "making events" that follow an
                      event such as NF (just as Crucible did at last ProgDay) is very lame.
                      I'll shoot my wad at the bands I paid to see, after that, I'm not paying to
                      see anyone else. As much as I think IZZ should be playing a major US prog
                      event (oh. I'm sorry, The Muffins get to play two years in a row @ ProgDay)
                      I will NOT be seeing them this time around....

                      well, suit yourself. but for me, there are three bands on the bill who i'd
                      rather see less.
                      if it costs another $15 to see IZZ than so be it. i like this band alot and
                      i doubt they'll be
                      coming to the chicago area any time soon.
                      jerry
                    • Jerry Keller
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8, 2002

                        >yeah, it would but i'd be willing to skip spaced out on sunday
                        morning . i'd
                        >rather see IZZ.
                        >jerry<<

                        Have you heard any of Spaced Out's stuff?  I think they are quite good.
                        Steve Sly

                        i just ordered eponymus ii today. i'll let you know what i think.
                        jerry
                      • Stephen Ellis
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2002
                          You know Bob,

                          If I attacked one of your posts as you love to do to mine, you would
                          probably want to expel me. I think YOU have a personal grudge against me.
                          I've ignored you snide comments and jabs over the last year on this list and
                          would hope that you can see you have been doing this. Now my comments
                          related to your post.

                          Yea, Kevin Gilbert played ProgFest in 1994! If he was still alive today and
                          invited to ProgFest or any other event I'd gladly be there. I'd think even
                          you would see that an 8 year break is not the same as playing two years in a
                          row. It is the whole "no repeat" rule that is now to be ignored.

                          I also know that I choose to see who and what I want, I was expressing my
                          "thoughts" on the subject and was not saying after event gigs, pre-event
                          gigs, during event gigs should not take place.

                          Discipline never counted for some reason, Peter thinks (thought) they walked
                          on water, it was HIS show and he could do with it as he felt best. In fact,
                          the shows Peter controlled were far better than any since.

                          I don't like the hypocrisy of the current group putting on ProgDay. And
                          unlike some others, I'm not willing to ignore it and say nothing. Besides,
                          last I heard you weren't even planning on coming?

                          C MDA
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2002
                            "Stephen Ellis" <Stephen_Ellis@s...> wrote:

                            > You know Bob,
                            >
                            > If I attacked one of your posts as you love to do to mine,
                            > you would probably want to expel me.

                            You know Capt, if that's your idea of an "attack", you sure
                            are a lot more thin-skinned than I thought. You've been
                            taking repeated pot shots at ProgDay lately, and from here
                            it seemed like your only complaint was that they didn't
                            book all the bands *you* wanted to see. That's all I'm
                            saying.

                            > I think YOU have a personal grudge against me.

                            I find your posting style abrasive, and your opinions generally
                            ill-founded. It certainly doesn't help that your tastes in music
                            are almost the polar opposite of mine, and if I say anything
                            negative about any band you like you get all offended. Yet you
                            see no problem in calling anything outside the simple, symphonic
                            prog style "noise" and "crap".

                            If you want to interpret that as a "personal grudge", go ahead. If
                            I really had a grudge against you, I'd kick you off the list for
                            good and be done with it. God knows you've sent enough posts
                            that I've had to block since you've been back (the political rant
                            about Bush, the requests for someone to send you a CDR of offically
                            released, in-print albums, etc).

                            > It is the whole "no repeat" rule that is now to be ignored.

                            Since when has ProgDay had a "no repeat" rule? Rob has said that
                            NEARFest has such a rule, but no one has ever said it about ProgDay,
                            especially since the precedent has been set by Discipline.

                            > In fact, the shows Peter controlled were far better than any
                            > since.

                            You mean the *one* ProgDay since? BTW, ProgDay '97 still remains
                            my favorite, and that was Peter's show. But the committee approach
                            last year put together a pretty good show, I thought.

                            > I don't like the hypocrisy of the current group putting on
                            > ProgDay.

                            I'd very much like to see you point out one example of the
                            "hypocrisy" of the ProgDay committee. Or is "hypocrisy" your
                            term for "not booking enough neoprog bands"?

                            > And unlike some others, I'm not willing to ignore it
                            > and say nothing.

                            Captain, I've got news for you - there are no others who are
                            sitting around fretting about the "hypocrisy" of ProgDay.

                            > Besides, last I heard you weren't even planning on coming?

                            I never said I wasn't going to go to ProgDay. I decided to skip
                            NEARFest, mostly for financial reasons, but odds are that I'll
                            be hitting my sixth ProgDay in a row this year as long as the
                            lineup is even halfway decent. So far it's looking like it will be.

                            -- Bob "Bice" Eichler
                          • Stephen Ellis
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 9, 2002
                              Thank you for clearing this all up for me.

                              C MDA
                              <snip>
                            • soniq95@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 11, 2002
                                ...and the Polydactyl and Smokin' Granny
                                Friday night shows were all excellent.>>

                                Agreed, all 45 minutes of it :-)

                                Regards

                                Todd