The Red Masque - NEW ALBUM - due June 1, 2002

  • theredmasque
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      The Red Masque's New Album - Victoria and the Haruspex - due June 1,
      2002

      Greetings from avant rock band The Red Masque. We have several major
      announcements to make (including a new album, shows with Sleepytime
      Gorilla Museum and a new prog festival), so strap yourself in and
      cuddle up with Cthulhu!

      NEW ALBUM
      A funny thing happened on the way to the recording studio to make a
      new EP: The Red Masque made a new full-length album instead. The CD,
      titled Victoria and The Haruspex will be available June 1 at the
      Philadelphia Underground Music & Culture Festival. The show will
      feature Land of Chocolate, The Red Masque, Persephone's Dream, and
      Church of Hed (featuring members of Quarkspace). See
      www.theredmasque.com/pumc.htm for advance ticket sales, T-shirt
      information, and more on the PUMC. The new album will be available
      online at BigBalloonMusic.com and other online vendors TBA.

      Victoria and the Haruspex includes the 24-minute improvised
      piece "Haruspex," which features, among other oddities, musical china
      doll, toy piano and operatic vocalizations in an unknown
      language. "Afterloss" is a flamenco-influenced song featuring
      acoustic guitar, concert harp, percussion and vocals, with lyrics
      taken from Shakespeare's Sonnet 90. The darkly psychedelic "Bird
      Brain" features lyrics by Percy Bysshe Shelley. An early, live,
      version of "Bird Brain" can be heard on the Red Masque's web site at
      www.theredmasque.com/music.htm. Click on the bird to download the
      file. The song has since been rewritten for the new album.

      NEW GUITARIST
      The Red Masque would like to welcome guitarist Abhi Taranath to The
      Red Masque family. Original RM guitarist Steven Blumberg has decided
      to part ways with the band after wrapping up some final shows.
      Steven's signature guitar work can be heard on "Bird Brain" while
      Abhi's textural experimentations and sonic explorations are featured
      on "Haruspex." The Red Masque wishes Steven the best of luck in
      future endeavors. Abhi recently joined The Red Masque after moving
      from California to Philadelphia, and is an alumnus of Robert Fripp's
      Guitar Craft. New band photos reflecting member changes will be
      available on The Red Masque's web site in the upcoming months....

      UPCOMING SHOWS
      May 14 - The Balcony at the Trocadero Theater, Philadelphia. With
      Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com) and
      Stinking Lizaveta (www.stinkinglizaveta.com). 8pm. Ages 21-plus.

      June 1 - Sedgwick Theater, Philadelphia. With Land of Chocolate
      (www.landofchocolate.net), Persephone's Dream
      (www.persephonesdream.com), Church of Hed
      (www.quarkspace.com/coh.htm). 7pm. $10 for tickets/$20 for tickets
      and t-shirt combo. All Ages. Only 300 tickets will be sold for this
      event. Order in advance or purchase tickets at the door. See
      www.theredmasque.com/pumc.htm for details.

      See www.theredmasque.com/shows.htm for venue directions and more.

      -----------------------
      THE RED MASQUE
      www.theredmasque.com
      www.musearecords.com
      www.mp3.com/the_red_masque
    • Jeff Oaster
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        Three songs. Is that it?!? I recall a certain singer from a certain Philadelphia-area avant-proggy type band expressing some trepidation about buying an album (Present's "High Infidelity" IIRC) because it only had three songs. 8^)

        Actually as someone who really loves the EP, I'm looking forward to this new release. One question: As I am now saving my pennies for a NearFest spending spree (an to a lesser extent, my second child due to arrive a few weeks after NF), will the band be hanging around NearFest selling "Victoria and the Haruspex?" If not, I'm sure some of the friendly vendors will have it.

        cheers

        jeff

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          Hi jeff. Yes, we only have three songs. But the album is 45 minutes
          long. ANd one of the songs is 24 minutes. so, not really an EP
          anymore. And Present's High Infidelity is awesome. I don't care if it
          only has three songs on it. Likewise Universe Zero's "Heresy" only
          has three songs on it and is also great. Not that there is any
          correlation between three song albums and greatness ;) But for the
          purpose of selling our Cds.... YES. THERE IS A CORRELATION! ;) j/k

          Yes, we'll be at NEAR Fest. At the magus booth actually. I did some
          vocal work on Andrew Robinson's new album, and our concert harpist
          also did some work on his new album, so we'll be at his booth and
          bringing along our new cd as well.

          Congratulations on the new baby! Boy or girl? What's the first prog
          song you'll be playing for him/her when they are old enough to start
          appreciating music? Congrats again! :D

          Lynnette
          www.theredmasque.com

          --- In ProgAndOther@y..., "Jeff Oaster" <jeffoaster@m...> wrote:
          > Three songs. Is that it?!? I recall a certain singer from a certain
          Philadelphia-area avant-proggy type band expressing some trepidation
          about buying an album (Present's "High Infidelity" IIRC) because it
          only had three songs. 8^)

          > Actually as someone who really loves the EP, I'm looking forward to
          this new release. One question: As I am now saving my pennies for a
          NearFest spending spree (an to a lesser extent, my second child due
          to arrive a few weeks after NF), will the band be hanging around
          NearFest selling "Victoria and the Haruspex?" If not, I'm sure some
          of the friendly vendors will have it.

          > cheers
          >
          > jeff

          more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
          http://explorer.msn.com
        • Jeff Oaster
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2002
            It's a girl. If I have my way, the child will be listening to some prog in the womb. Nothing harsh - I played the Flower Kings and Glass Hammer for my 2.5 year old while she was still in the oven. Somehow the notion of playing Univers Zero or Magma for a child in utero is a little disturbing, especially since my daughter got started crying when I tried out Anglagard and King Crimson on her when she was a few months old.

            Anywho, I'll make sure I seek out your table at NF and lighten my wallet a little bit.

            cheers

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2002
              What! No shubniggurath In Utero? LOL.