Re: get off the stage

  • Jeff Swanson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 1999
      At 09:35 AM 3/30/99 -0600, "Jerry Keller" <jerry@...> wrote:

      >have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the stage. i have once and
      it wasn't pretty.

      Around 1979, I saw a show at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. It featured the
      Michael Stanley Band and the Outlaws (a perrenial 'Burgh favorite draw).
      Opening for these bands was Nick Gilder, who had a real lame "hit" called
      "Hot Child In The City".

      This guy came out on stage prancing and mincing in an orange spandex jump
      suit. In addition to a bad preformance, he was insistant on promoting his
      "alternate lifestyle". He did two songs. At least I think they completed
      two...by then the booing was louder than their "music". They never returned
      to Pittsburgh. ;^)

      =====================

      I guess the other side of the coin would be....

      Have you ever attended a show that was cut short by the performing act?

      I saw Neil Young in 1981(?) during his Trans/Reactor days. For those of you
      unfamiliar with this stuff, Trans and Reactor were Neil Young's attempts at
      'computer age" music...lots of sound effects, guitar distortions, and Neil
      in his glitter suit and futuristic sunglasses...quite the sight.

      Early into the show (three or four songs), some disgruntled music critic
      (i.e. idiot) threw a bottle up on the stage. It whistled past Neil's head,
      literally missing him by inches. He immediately stopped playing, unplugged
      his guitar and exited the stage. The crowd was quiet and stunned at first,
      then it got nasty. The perpetrator was 'lucky' enough not to get caught.
      There would have been a lynching for sure.

      To the best of my knowledge, Neil has never returned to Pittsburgh since.

      Jeff

      Jeff Swanson
      URL - http://www.brookings.net/~jswanson/
      E-Mail - jswanson@...