get off the stage

  • Jerry Keller
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 1999
      have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the stage. i have once and it wasn't pretty.
      somewhere around 1975, i went to see gentle giant at a relatively small (maybe 2000) venue in hempstead, long island. as you gg fans know , those who like gg
      are generally fanatical fans. opening for gg was a band called ace. they had one pretty big hit that received alot of airplay called"how long has this been going on".
      well, they came on and did a song and it was ok but the reception was either boos or calls for "the giant, the giant". they tried another and they received the same reception. then, in desperation they played their "hit". same reception.
      as i recall, they played one more song and walked off to a chorus of boos. i felt so sorry for them. they actually were ok, but very middle of the road type of music, and certainly not a band to be paired with gg.
      to conclude, gentle giant came out and played an excellent show. but i left a little bit depressed anyway. noone deserves that shit.
      i was just playing gg and it came to mind. i thought i'd share it with you
      jerry
    • 46th@excite.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 1999
        On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:35:35, Jerry Keller wrote unto us:

        <<<have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the stage. i have once
        and it wasn't pretty.>>>

        In the early 80s (I believe), I saw Blue Oyster Cult playing at the U
        of Maryland. A band called Blotto opened for them. Several morons threw
        cups and other trash at the band, but they never said anything to the crowd.
        In fact, I didn't even notice them react in any way whatsoever. After about
        the third or fourth song, the lead singer got beaned in the head with a full
        cup of soft drink and ice. The band finished the song, then they took off.
        Getting booed off the stage is one thing; those of us who play music or
        sports understand that what we do is not always going to be popular with
        everyone, so we acknowledge the boos as an occupational and/or artistic
        hazard. Being physically assaulted with flying objects, however, is totally
        unnecessary. In an effort to cut down on such acts, I'd like to see an
        arrangement made where the band members can throw the same objects at their
        assaulters as were thrown at them. And, of course, if cups of soda and ice
        are not readily available, bricks and medium sized pieces of lumber will
        suffice as substitute.

        Success!
        Steve!

        Steve's Temporary Cyber Home Base:
        http://members.xoom.com/46th/s.htm

        ProgAndOther mailing list home page:
        http://members.xoom.com/ProgAndOther/progandother.htm

      • Paul Arsenault
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 1999
          At 09:35 AM 3/30/99 -0600, you wrote:

          <excerpt><smaller>have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the
[...]

          </smaller></excerpt>

          Hi Jerry

          The lead singer for ace was none other than Paul Carrack who has been in
          many bands including Squeeze, Mike and The Mechanics with Mike
          Rutherford. I like Paul carrack and I agree no one deserves to be booed
          of the stage. I have seen many opening acts some good some bad. You
          gotta give them a chance. All the great bands I love were more than
          likely opening acts at some time. If you don't like the music, go have a
          beer or whatever.

          Later

          Paul

          NP Spocks Beard - Day For Night

        • AllGdPple@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 1999
            In a message dated 3/30/99 10:41:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            jerry@... writes:

            << have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the stage. i have once and
            it wasn't pretty. >>

            yes.....Jon Anderson's bud Donovan opened for Yes at the Spectrum in Philly
            for the Going for the One tour..

            as soon as he started playing Mellow Yellow you could hear the rumble when he
            started Hurdy Gurdy the boos just came from everywhere.

            this ain't laid back California.....Philly and South Jersey loved their prog
            bands and supported them very strongly, but they are a hard-working blue
            collar crowd who weren't about to sit still for Hurdy Gurdy man.

            i think i mentioned before.......it is the only biker/prog audience i've ever
            seen. biker gangs from all over traded their colors for painted Roger Dean
            Denim jackets......

            :i hung with the Bellmawr Lake Gang. Yes, Triumvirat, and Uriah Heep were our
            colors

            kenny
          • Stevesly@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 1999
              The only time I can remember a band being actually booed off stage was back in
              1982. I don't remember the name of the band, but they opened for Peter
              Gabriel here in Kalamazoo. Gabriel himself came out before they came on and
              introduced them. I remember him saying something like "this band is loved in
              some cities and hated in others, you be the judge". I don't remember a whole
              lot specific about the band except one guy spent most of his stage time
              pounding on a big steel barrel. They lasted about 3 songs before the crowd
              totally turned on them. Personally I thought they were pretty bad, but
              apparently Gabriel liked them as he had hand picked them to open for him on
              that particular leg of the tour.

              Steve Sly
              (NP- Ayreon - The Final Expiriment)
            • Jeff Swanson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31, 1999
                At 09:35 AM 3/30/99 -0600, "Jerry Keller" <jerry@...> wrote:

                >have you ever witnessed a band getting booed off the stage. i have once and
                it wasn't pretty.

                Around 1979, I saw a show at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. It featured the
                Michael Stanley Band and the Outlaws (a perrenial 'Burgh favorite draw).
                Opening for these bands was Nick Gilder, who had a real lame "hit" called
                "Hot Child In The City".

                This guy came out on stage prancing and mincing in an orange spandex jump
                suit. In addition to a bad preformance, he was insistant on promoting his
                "alternate lifestyle". He did two songs. At least I think they completed
                two...by then the booing was louder than their "music". They never returned
                to Pittsburgh. ;^)

                =====================

                I guess the other side of the coin would be....

                Have you ever attended a show that was cut short by the performing act?

                I saw Neil Young in 1981(?) during his Trans/Reactor days. For those of you
                unfamiliar with this stuff, Trans and Reactor were Neil Young's attempts at
                'computer age" music...lots of sound effects, guitar distortions, and Neil
                in his glitter suit and futuristic sunglasses...quite the sight.

                Early into the show (three or four songs), some disgruntled music critic
                (i.e. idiot) threw a bottle up on the stage. It whistled past Neil's head,
                literally missing him by inches. He immediately stopped playing, unplugged
                his guitar and exited the stage. The crowd was quiet and stunned at first,
                then it got nasty. The perpetrator was 'lucky' enough not to get caught.
                There would have been a lynching for sure.

                To the best of my knowledge, Neil has never returned to Pittsburgh since.

                Jeff

                Jeff Swanson
                URL - http://www.brookings.net/~jswanson/
                E-Mail - jswanson@...