RE: [ProgAndOther] niacin

  • Jerry Keller
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001

      Hi Jerry! "High Bias", though it's not bad, is Niacin's least impressive album. I'd recommend you pick up "Deep", their 2000 release. There's still the jazz/fusion thang goin on, but it's got a little more of a prog vibe as well. The self-titled debut is great too. I was able to catch those guys here in Chi-town last year (I know you're a Chicagoan too, correct?), & live they're killer. Much heavier & looser. Was also fortunate enough to meet them after the show, & they're three of the most down-to-earth guys you'll ever meet. They just released a new album, "Time Crunch", last week, BTW....anybody heard it yet?
      ~Brett

      yes, i'm from chicago. where did they play? do they tour regularly? i'd love
      to see them. i'll check out the other albums too. as i said i was very impressed
      with this band. sheehan and chambers are fantastic.
      btw, i was going to see keneally ay martyrs next friday and now it looks doubtful.
      as i have relatives coming in to visit. i am not happy.
      o well.

      jerry

    • all4rains
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
        Jerry Keller wrote:

        <<yes, i'm from chicago. where did they play? do they tour regularly? i'd love
        to see them. i'll check out the other albums too. as i said i was very impressed
        with this band. sheehan and chambers are fantastic.
        btw, i was going to see keneally ay martyrs next friday and now it looks doubtful.
        as i have relatives coming in to visit. i am not happy.>>

        Niacin played at Martyrs too, Jerry....great show. They don't really tour regularly, as Niacin isn't exactly Billy Sheehan's top priority, with all his other things going on. Niacin is kinda' his hobby band, but who knows now that Billy has officially hung-up his pop-metal shoes with Mr. Big. Bummer on not being able to see Keneally...I'll be there!

        ~Brett

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
          _Deep_ cooks; the first one is great; _High Bias_ sounds like outtakes
          from the first, by comparison. _Time Crunch_ is out, and I haven't seen
          it anywhere, which is starting to piss me off. OK, not that much. ;-)

          E-Man

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
            _Deep_ cooks; the first one is great; _High Bias_ sounds like outtakes
            from the first, by comparison. _Time Crunch_ is out, and I haven't seen
            it anywhere, which is starting to piss me off. OK, not that much. ;-)
            E-Man

            well, i guess thats good news.
            thats two opinions saying high bias is their worst
            and i think its great so i guess the other ones are pretty damn good.
            i guess deep and niacin are next.

            jerry
          • Jim Robinson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
              Jerry-

              Could not agree more. They are amazing.
              Have heard their other stuff and I would recommend it all.
              I am planning on ordering the rest this week.

              Peace-
              Jim

            • soniq95@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
                In a message dated 11/4/01 6:34:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                jerry950@... writes:

                << this is definitely a keeper.
                does anyone have any others? what are they like?

                jerry >>

                Hi Jerry

                I've got them all, plus a few boots, as well as the official live release
                from japan, and the video. Still waiting for the new one to arrive.

                Did you get the pun ? Niacin is vitamin B3

                For a B3 dominated band, Sheehan really stands out on base

                They haven't released a weak one in my opinion

                Regards

                Todd
              • Jerry Keller
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2002