Re: [ProgAndOther] Digest Number 1116

  • Sean McFee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      On 1 Aug 2001 ProgAndOther@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > From: eichler@...
      > Subject: Re: NEARFest realaudio broadcast
      >
      > Hey ProgDay commitee, can you pull this off?

      I asked about getting Studio M a couple of times, but the idea
      didn't catch on.

      > From: rlladuca@...
      > Subject: Band #2 for NEARfest- MIRIODOR
      >
      > 3. Band #2 - Miriodor!

      Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

      > From: "Jerry Keller" <jerry950@...>
      > Subject: a nearfest gripe ( a small one )
      >
      > correct me if i'm wrong anybody, but wasn't porcupine tree contracted
      > to play a 2 hr set?

      Yeah, but luckily I wasn't contracted to watch it all the way
      to the end ;). It was more than long enough for me.

      > From: Zero the Hero <jeller@...>
      > Subject: RE: a nearfest gripe ( a small one )
      >
      > Encores are a stupid rock star convention that should be abolished forever
      > worldwide. Fans go on screaming and hollering as if they're going to make
      > a difference to the band's plans anyway...

      Well, in Quebec City IQ did three encores, and I'm pretty sure
      that was more than originally intended.

      > From: Noah Samuel Lesgold <nlesgold@...>
      > Subject: RE: a nearfest gripe ( a small one )
      >
      > I think it's appropriate for a band headlining a sold-out festival to
      > expect to be called back for encores. That's the way rock audiences are.
      > That they played *3* encores, totalling half an hour of music, is mainly
      > due to the fact that the fans in the auditorium were going insane for
      > them. We would not have seen all of those pieces, I think, had the first
      > encore been followed by brief clapping, some hoots, and people getting up
      > to leave.

      I think they hedged their bets by leaving so early. Of course
      their fans would want more if they were expecting another half hour :-P.

      I think if time was running short for the venue it would make
      *more* sense to keep the set longer and any potential encores
      shorter. That said, it was already more than long enough for me.

      --
      Sean McFee