Re: [ProgAndOther] Digest Number 1052

  • CanarioAB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      According to the email I got, the Crocodile Rock basement has been
      air-conditioned since last year ... last year was so miserable though, I'm
      not sure if that will sway many people!

      There had been informal talk of having a mixer and social time at the Brew
      Works Friday evening ... considering that we're going to be sitting and
      listening to music for all but a few hours for the following 2 days, the
      mixer is more attractive to me at this point, but now that the pre-show has
      been announced, we have a split, which I think is too bad. I was looking
      forward to seeing/meeting new faces. Obviously I'll be in touch with the
      folks I already know, but it's the ones I don't know and would like to meet
      that could be in either place and be missed.

      Right now my vote goes to the Brew Works ...
      AB
    • Greg Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        Although I'm not able to go to NEARfest this year (see you at
        ProgDay!), I would recommend that you have the mixer at the Crocodile
        Rock Cafe. The basement is huge with several areas (seperate rooms)
        where you could gather if you chose not to listen to the bands. You
        could even meet upstairs where they serve dinner and have a more
        traditional bar.

        In addition, by being there you will be supporting a couple of Prog
        Bands and can give these bands at least a few minutes of
        listening...who knows they could be great bands?!?!

        Greg

        NP: Kansas - Two for the Show

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • eichler@epix.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
          Greg Hall <motorcityprogger@y...> wrote:

          > Although I'm not able to go to NEARfest this year (see you at
          > ProgDay!), I would recommend that you have the mixer at the
          > Crocodile Rock Cafe. The basement is huge with several areas
          > (seperate rooms) where you could gather if you chose not to listen
          > to the bands. You could even meet upstairs where they serve dinner
          > and have a more traditional bar.
          >
          > In addition, by being there you will be supporting a couple of Prog
          > Bands and can give these bands at least a few minutes of
          > listening...who knows they could be great bands?!?!

          That's not a bad idea, but something else to keep in mind - at least
          from my experiences of the two locations, the Bethlehem Brew Works
          had better food, better ambience, and (most importantly) better beer.
          And the staff didn't show open contempt for festival goers.

          -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

          NP: AC/DC, _Back in Black_. Good Friday afternoon blowing-off-steam
          album.
        • Phil Bastanchury
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
            I have to agree -- I was somewhat disappointed to hear that there was an
            "unofficial" pre-show happening at Crocodile.

            Last years pre-show was rather special for me -- my flight left from Seattle
            at 12:06 **AM** Friday morning -- arrived at LaGuardia at 1:30pm -- had
            never been in NYC before so I just HAD to drive the legnth of Manhattan from
            Central Park to 42nd Street (I think that's the corner that empire state
            building was on) and then on into Allentown. My wife couldn't take the heat
            and crowds and being exausted, went back to the hotel. Echolyn is one of my
            all-time favorite bands, so I stood for HOURS in front of the stage and was
            right in front when they (finally) performed.

            I was hoping to avoid that fiasco this year, but I'm not sure I'll be able
            to stay away from the pre-show, since there are NEVER any prog shows in
            Seattle.

            How about a late start to the preshow (like last year, as it turned out),
            and an early start to the meet&greet at BBW? That way it would be feasable
            to do both?

            Phil

          • Greg Hall
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
              --- eichler@... wrote:

              > That's not a bad idea, but something else to keep in mind - at least
              > from my experiences of the two locations, the Bethlehem Brew Works
              > had better food, better ambience, and (most importantly) better beer.
              > And the staff didn't show open contempt for festival goers.

              You do have a point!

              Greg

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/