NEARfest Lineup Change

  • rlladuca@rs01.kings.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      NEARfest 2001 Press Release
      Porcupine Tree Replaced as NEARfest 2001 Headliner

      It is with regret that we must announce that Porcupine Tree can no
      longer perform at NEARfest. Steven Wilson just informed me that he has
      a schedule conflict, as he had agreed to do production work for the
      Latvian avant garde/ethnic/progressive ensemble Nwghyllium. The band
      has reunited to record their first album since 1982's long lost
      classic Arshandra Deotra. Steven has always been a big fan of this
      relatively unknown and underrated band and he jumped at the
      opportunity to work with them. However, unfortunately Steven will be
      in the Baltics over the June 23/24 weekend, and therefore Porcupine
      Tree must now decline the invitation to perform at NEARfest 2001.
      Needless to say we're as disappointed as you are that Porcupine Tree
      will not be gracing the Zoellner Arts Center stage this summer.

      However we have made the best of a bad situation. NEARfest is very
      pleased to be able to book on very short notice the Phil Collins
      All-Star Prog Big Band. Phil has organized a big band style orchestra,
      which will be performing reworkings of classic Genesis material such
      as "Illegal Alien" and "Invisible Touch", as well as songs from his
      illustrious solo career such as "Sussudio" and "One More Night".

      Those folks who are no longer interested in attending NEARfest now
      (noting that direct refunds are not permitted by venue rules) should
      post their tickets for sale on the NEARfest message board at:

      http://www.nearfest.com/nearfest/gotcha.asp

      After doing so, please be sure to note the date of your posting to be
      sure it was logged properly. If unable to connect to the website
      please check the spelling of the URL and try again.

      HAPPY April Fools Day folks, see you in June!

      Peace
      Rob LaDuca
      President, ProgFest
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
        > However we have made the best of a bad situation. NEARfest is very
        > pleased to be able to book on very short notice the Phil Collins
        > All-Star Prog Big Band. Phil has organized a big band style orchestra,
        > which will be performing reworkings of classic Genesis material such
        > as "Illegal Alien" and "Invisible Touch", as well as songs from his
        > illustrious solo career such as "Sussudio" and "One More Night".

        well, as long as he promises to play "sussudio" i still want to go.
        jerry
      • AllGdPple@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
          rlladuca@... writes:

          HAPPY April Fools Day folks, see you in June!

          i turned on the computer and opened my mailbox and said to myself ......"be
          careful, there's going to be some pretty good April Fool's pranks
          .................this one was soo good , even though it was the very first
          email i opened i completely forgot the warning i had just made to myself.

          i guess it's the subject matter that fooled me. .......

          my only regret is that i won't get to hear that new CD by
          Nwghyllium.......let me guess..... an new metallic compound you've created?

          sounded like a good band.

          BTW.......as your stated objective is "What happens when structurally rigid
          inorganic frameworks are combined with structurally flexible organic
          molecules? We are attempting to explore the interface of inorganic and
          organic chemistry by synthesizing new hybrid materials. "

          you might find this interesting......i was at NYU yesterday at a dental
          implant seminar and it was mentioned that a Dr. Steflik was sent numerous
          implants that had failed......so that he could examine them under an electron
          microscope.......his discovery was that the bone cells had developed small
          tubules that attached themselves to the titanium implant in order to get
          information from the foriegn body and then, of course, fused bone to the
          metal. (the failure was due to periodontal load, not incompatability).
          no joke.....it was quite amazing.

          kenny
        • Shellyn Ganger
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
            > microscope.......his discovery was that the bone cells had
            developed small
            > tubules that attached themselves to the titanium implant in order
            to get
            > information from the foriegn body and then, of course, fused bone
            to the
            > metal. (the failure was due to periodontal load, not
            incompatability).
            > no joke.....it was quite amazing.
            >
            > kenny

            Thank you, Kenny! Now we'll have something
            to talk about at supper tonight, instead of just staring
            at each other and masticating. . .

            Shellyn.
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
              In a message dated 04/01/2001 3:46:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              rlladuca@... writes:

              HAPPY April Fools Day folks, see you in June!

              Very good one Rob........you had me going most of the way through this one!

              Steve Sly
              (NP - Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element)