an introduction

  • Glenn F Leonard
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
      Hi good people. I've been lurking via web & have now subscribed via
      email. My name is Glenn Leonard & I'm a progaholic. :^) I freelance as a
      drummer/percussionist in the Philly area. I play regularly with North
      Star, Pellet & guest with Project / Object which is a Zappa tribute
      fronted by Ike Willis. I look forward to participating in discussions.
      I've been getting my prog news through the Gentle Giant digest, On
      Reflection. Many of you may want to check it out. Always stimulating talk
      there & not at all limited to GG, although that is a common interest
      there.

      Anyway, again I say hola.
      Glenn
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
        In a message dated 02/05/2001 2:47:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        gleonard9@... writes:

        >>Hi good  people. I've been lurking via web & have now subscribed via
        email. My name is Glenn Leonard & I'm a progaholic.  :^)<<

        Welcome Glenn,

        I think you will find a lot of people on this list who enjoyed your
        performance at NEARfest last year.  You will find a great group of fellow
        progaholics here.  Some musicians, and some with no musical experience at
        all, but all lovers of good music.

        Steve Sly
        (NP - Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming Of The True)
      • Peter Abusamra
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
          Welcome Glenn.I thought Northstar put on a great show last year at Nearfest!
          Pete

        • eichler@epix.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
            In the last digest, Glenn F Leonard <gleonard9@...> wrote:

            > I freelance as a drummer/percussionist in the Philly area. I play
            > regularly with North Star, Pellet & guest with Project / Object
            > which is a Zappa tribute fronted by Ike Willis.

            Did you play with P/O last year (or it might have been in '99, I
            forget which) on the day before Halloween in Philly? It was a
            great show - they played until 3am, did the entire "One Size Fits
            All" album as an encore, and even had a real on-stage wedding
            between sets (the band then played FZ's "Love of my Life" for
            the couple's first dance).

            > As seen in the Philadelphia City Paper comics section:
            >
            > _Schlock n Roll by Ward "Aqualung" Sutton_
            >
            > Panel 3: <Scary characture of KB> Amazingly, Burns did not come to
            > the project with much knowledge of the subject... "Before I made
            > this film, I never listened to prog rock...I don't think I'll
            > listen to it afterwards, either."

            LOL.

            > Panel 4: Naturally, there are controversies. Critics contend Burns
            > relied too heavily on the views of Wynton Marsalis. <WM looking
            > gloat-y>: "King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull --- they were
            > all influenced by one man: Louis Armstrong."

            Oh, that's excellent. Was that really in the Philly newspaper?

            BTW, I guess I should mention (since I started that last Ken Burns
            Jazz thread) that the series lost what few points it had gained
            with me in that final episode. They spent the first 17 hours of
            the series heaping praise on anyone who ever even looked at a
            musical instrument in the name of jazz, then turned around and bashed
            the avant garde and particularly Miles Davis' fusion work. What
            the hell was that stupid "playing tennis without a net" analogy
            supposed to mean, anyway? Dammit, now I'm wishing I hadn't wasted
            four videotapes recording the series. Maybe I'll burn them.

            -- Bob "Bice" Eichler

            NP: Magma, _Retrospektiw I-II_
          • Jim Robinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
              Hey Glenn how are you?

              would you please ask your bro to call me or e-mail me I lost his last post
              and we need to talk.

              Peace-
              Jim Robinson

            • AllGdPple@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
                In a message dated 2/6/01 8:21:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, eichler@...
                writes:

                BTW, I guess I should mention (since I started that last Ken Burns
                Jazz thread) that the series lost what few points it had gained
                with me in that final episode.  They spent the first 17 hours of
                the series heaping praise on anyone who ever even looked at a
                musical instrument in the name of jazz, then turned around and bashed
                the avant garde and particularly Miles Davis' fusion work.  What
                the hell was that stupid "playing tennis without a net" analogy
                supposed to mean, anyway?  Dammit, now I'm wishing I hadn't wasted
                four videotapes recording the series.  Maybe I'll burn them.

                i think they hit it pretty good.........the Bitches Brew recordings were
                innovative and were an extension of Miles attempt to find smooth avant garde
                tones.....to find beauty amidst the chaos. they pointed out that he got lost
                after that period. the point about "playing tennis without a net" indicated
                that he lost focus.....where his point of aim was.

                and even Miles agreed that much of  his 70's s attempts were forgettable.....
                the 80's were better and just before his death he seemed to be pleased with
                his art. i remember an appearance with Chuck Mangione when he talked about
                not being pleased with where he had been, but felt good about the direction
                he had taken  with his music at that time.

                i guess it's not necessary to agree with anything Marsalis said about his
                fusion era....but i guarantee you that we don't have half of the love and
                respect, or understanding of Miles' music that Marsalis has. i don't think
                that he would take the issue lightly, but that doesn't mean he's right
                either. his thinking could be biased because of a betrayal he felt when Miles
                took the road that he did.

                much like  many fans do with their idols....

                kenny
              • Brandon Wu
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
                  --- In ProgAndOther@y..., AllGdPple@a... wrote:
                  > and even Miles agreed that much of his 70's s attempts were
                  > forgettable..... the 80's were better

                  Gaaaahhh?!??!?!?

                  > i guess it's not necessary to agree with anything Marsalis said
                  > about his fusion era....but i guarantee you that we don't have half
                  > of the love and respect, or understanding of Miles' music that
                  > Marsalis has.

                  Marsalis only has respect for the part of Miles' discography that
                  fits in neatly with his narrow-minded idea of what jazz "should
                  be". You can't seriously tell me that Marsalis loves and respects
                  "Bitches Brew" more than I do. I think he'd kill you if he knew :)

                  Arg, but enough Marsalis fights. All my points have been made
                  (as well as all the competing points) millions of times over on
                  rec.music.bluenote.

                  -B

                  np: mogwai, "young team"