Re: [ProgAndOther] Caravan-Dab Song Concerto

  • Noah Samuel Lesgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Rick Sheldon wrote:

      > I've sometimes wondered similarly about "Happy the Man"- Did Kit & Co.
      > just abscond with this from Pete and the boys, or does this phrase too
      > have some more history to it?

      "Happy the man, and happy he alone,
      He who can call today his own: He who, secure within, can say,
      Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today."
      --John Dryden, translating Horace

      I believe this was the quote that their name came from.

      --
      Noah Lesgold | Hell is in Gorham, NY, on SR247, E of Canandaigua
      nlesgold@... | http://www.cif.rochester.edu/~nlesgold

      "...we've made this stupid connection that talking and thinking about a
      thing actually have something to do with the thing itself. Love is
      really very easy. We're the ones who make it so hard."
      David Auberman, c/o David Gerrold
    • Rick Sheldon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
        Since this group is an off-shoot of a Kansas list, and pertains to another group making great use of violin, I figured you guys might be able to help with a question that's been plaguing this unfortunately non-drug-addled brain (I've got an insurance physical coming up so I've been way too conscious lately) while listening to the wonderful second volume of Caravan's BBC sessions (Ether Way, on Hux). IN "Dab Song Concerto", there's the line "six of the best." I'm sure amny of you will recall that this was the billing of the one-shot Genesis/PG reunion gig following the money-losing WOMAD fiasco. Question: Is this a phrase that Pete and the lads borrowed from my favorite Canterbury creators, or is this some British phrase witha wider meaning/history? I've sometimes wondered similarly about "Happy the Man"- Did Kit & Co. just abscond with this from Pete and the boys, or does this phrase too have some more history to it?

        THanks.
        (just 4 more weeks till he can smoke again) Rick
      • Eric Baillargeon
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          Rick Sheldon wrote:
           THanks.(just 4 more weeks till he can smoke again) Rick

          When I took the test last year for new life insurance. They
          were more concerned about my cholesterol level, then they
          were about the level of THC that was in my blood. With
          my policy they were checking for hard drugs and pot didn't
          fit that catagory.

          So, you might be holding back for nothing.

          Eric

          NP.  NeBeLNeST