Re: Going For the One, Yes in general,

  • AllGdPple@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 1999
      In a message dated 3/2/99 5:24:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, eichler@...
      writes:

      <<
      I've seen a surprising number of people who agree with you. In fact,
      I think GFtO might have won a poll held on alt.music.yes a while back.
      Personally, I think Relayer is their best, which is more evidence that
      I'm a prog-snob (I've noticed that most snobs seem to like Relayer).
      GFtO, to me, represents the start of the slide that eventually led
      to the 70s Yes breaking up. But it's still a lot better than Tormato... >>

      I agree with you here Bob, I think Relayer is their best and wonder what early
      YES would have sounded like if the jazzier-Moraz was on board instead of the
      baroqueier-Wakeman.

      Oh man, Siberian Khatru with Moraz at the helm......talk about shivers.

      Or Tales......which is my favorite YES album.......Relayer is better, but
      Tales is a more beautiful musical portrait and I'm into theme before
      composition. That's not to slight the incredible themes on
      Relayer,....they're just not as grand and glorious IMO.

      Yet unlike you, my fave Yes solo work is Olias of Sunhillow. Talk about
      beautiful themes......these are the most wonderful musical ideas that any YES
      member has ever created.

      my order of Yes albums:
      Relayer
      Tales
      Drama
      Close to the Edge
      The Yes Album
      Fragile
      Going for the One

      everything else.......yawn

      kenny
    • Jerry Keller
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 1999
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 1999

          <<

          kenny writes:
          >my order of Yes albums:
          >Relayer
          >Tales
          >Drama
          >Close to the Edge
          >The Yes Album
          >Fragile
          >Going for the One
          >
          >everything else.......yawn
          >
          >kenny

          what i find most interesting is that you list drama third.
          it really is a fine album. another trevor saves the day.
          jerry

          Tales is my favorite, but I don't play it as much as Drama. It is the only
          YES work that rocks. Squire and Howe were FREE!!!!!! and they played like it.

          Expressive, refreshing, kick-ass rock from two of the best musicians in
          progressive rock. Yes, (pun intended), Geoffrey and Trevor were the two
          accomplices that helped make the escape from the cosmic jungle come to
          fruition, but the celebration of freedom of music that occurs on that album is
          what makes it outstanding.

          Yes, yes (intended), Going for the One and Tormato were evidence that the
          prisoners were restless and Anderson and Wakeman (warden and turnkey) would
          not let loose the chains.

          "...and die like a dead-beaten speed freak in answer to all of you answers to
          YES!"

          There is no question in my mind that Tempus Fugit is
          autobiographical......Yes, trying to keep up with everyone else's expectations
          of YES........

          "to navigate waters and finally to answer to YES"

          yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes,
          yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,yes, yes,
        • 46th@xxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 1999
            In an earlier episode, AllGdPple@... wrote unto us:

            > >my order of Yes albums:
            > >Relayer
            > >Tales
            > >Drama
            > >Close to the Edge
            > >The Yes Album
            > >Fragile
            > >Going for the One
            > >
            > >everything else.......yawn

            Years and years ago, I played in a prog band whose bass player was a
            proud Yes desciple. He expressed his absolute horror that I would rate
            Drama as my favorite Yes album; I asked him why he held that opinion, and he
            said because Anderson and Wakeman weren't on the album. Considering how it
            turned out, I didn't see that as being such a big deal, so I tactfully
            explained that I was relatively new to Yes music and couldn't make the
            appropriate comparison.
            (He ended up spending a good bit of time and energy making excuses for
            90125...but we won't worry about that right now.)
            Now that I'm more familiar with the band's pre-Drama efforts, my
            opinion hasn't changed much. In fact, I'd probably rank only Relayer ahead
            of Drama, with Close to the Edge a close (uh, oh...it's the Pun Police!)
            third.

            Success!
            Steve!

            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."