Top Ten - 2000

  • Dutchrocker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      Albums:

      1) Porcupine Tree - "Lightbulb Sun":
      What else can be said about this one? Can't wait to see them at NEARfest. If
      you like this band, you owe it to yourself to pick up the limited edition "4
      chords that made a million" EP with the 15+ minute demo version of "Even
      Less".

      2) Flower Kings - "Space Revolver":
      This one brought me back to the FK fold.

      3) Jadis - "Understand":
      Not really prog in the purest sense of the word, but good stuff nonetheless.
      Good sound too!

      4) Kayak - "Close To The Fire":
      Great comeback album.

      5) Kansas - "Somewhere To Elsewhere":
      Welcome back Kerry!

      6) John Wetton - "Welcome To Heaven":
      Only available as a Japanese import at this time. Another fine collection of
      Wetton's trademark catchy tunes. Many guests from the prog community
      including Fripp, MacDonald, Orford, Hackett, etc. The production/mastering is
      first rate.

      7) Rodger Hodgson - "Open The Door":
      Great new release from one of the world's unique vocalists.

      8) Martin Orford - "Classical Music And Popular Songs":
      I agree with Steve in that I was also impressed with his voice.

      9) Spock's Beard - "V":
      The good ("At The End Of The Day" and "The Great Nothing" ) outweigh the bad
      ("Thoughts - Part II")

      10) Lana Lane - "Secrets Of Astrology":
      Lana deserves more recognition from the US prog community.

      Honorable Mention:

      -Steve Morse - "Major Impacts"
      -Enchant - "Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10"
      -Ayreon - "Flight Of The Migrator" and "The Dream Sequencer": Great
      musicianship, but time for a concept change!
      -IQ: "Subterranea Live"

      Concerts:

      -Spock's Beard/Dream Theater - Pontiac, MI.: Unfortunately, SB was plagued
      with technical difficulties. Dream Theater is now playing with the big boys.
      -Kansas/Yes - Pine Knob Music Theatre - Detroit, MI.: I had forgotten what a
      great front man Robby Steinhardt is.

      Here's to a progductive 2001,
      Dutch
    • Roy DeRousse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
        Wow - Thoughts Part II is one of my favorite tracks on the album! What don't
        you like about it?

        --- Dutchrocker@... wrote:
        > 9) Spock's Beard - "V":
        > The good ("At The End Of The Day" and "The Great Nothing" ) outweigh the bad
        > ("Thoughts - Part II")

        =====
        Have fun!

        Roy DeRousse
        relayer@... (Please use this, not the yahoo.com address. Thanks!)

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Dutchrocker@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
          Roy,

          My opinion of Spock's Beard is similar to that of the Flower Kings. I
          thoroughly enjoy these bands most of the time; however, I am not crazy about
          some of their minor key instrumental interludes.
          "Thoughts - Part II" is not a "bad" song it's just my least favorite on the
          album due to the instumental parts.

          Dutch