28141TONIGHT - Camel, Led Bib, Necromonkey, Zeuhl Tribute, Mike Keneally

  • Ian Beabout
    May 22, 2014
      Hello everyone! On this week's Deep Cuts (5/22), proggy goodness ensues ...

      So, first off, I've got some new live music from Necromonkey.  Captured raw and unbridled in their home at Roth Handle Studios, this epic track is going to blow your mind in the best of avant-Krautrock-y ways!

      Additionally, I'll have some new music from English avant-jazzers Led Bib and their recent The People in Your Neighbourhood out in May on the very excellent Cuneiform records. Combining the jazz / rock odysseys of Soft Machine and the space and breadth of Gong, Led Bib are best described as a place where hardcore avant-garde jazz and psychedelic rock meet. Wow!

      Also, I'll have some more from the Indonesian guitar-wiz Tohpati Bertiga and his brand new Moonjune release, Tribal Dance.  The new record, features Jimmy Haslip (Alan Holdsworth, Yellowjackets) on bass and Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa, Steven Wilson) on drums, making for a formidable power trio.  Bertiga's tasteful guitar work combine the jazz dexterity of Eric Johnson with the power of Robert Fripp and Jeff Beck.

      In Deep Cuts 36, you can also expect a birthday tribute to the one and only Andy Latimer of the 1970's legends Camel and a continuing tribute to Mike Keneally's upcoming performance at the Empty Glass in Charleston, WV.
      I'll top it off with a listener requested trip down the darkened Zeuhl path.  Best known as a genre invented by Christian Vander of the legendary band, Magma, Zeuhl is a genre marked by its minimalist rhythms, invented languages, slow buildups, and epic climaxes. The plan is to make Zeuhl a recurring theme in this week's program, not an extended onslaught, and to feature groups such as Weidorje, Zao, Eskaton, Happy Family, Koenji Hyakkei, and oh so many more! All of this is, of course, a preview of coming attractions. More on that in the next mailer.

      Come and join me, it'll be an experience like none other!

      Specializing in rare cuts by classic and modern bands, Prog Rock Deep Cuts is a forward thinking, live radio show that promises to match the obscure with the new and fresh. Intelligent, emotional, and visceral classic to modern progressive rock broadcasted live every Thursday from 7-10 pm EST on www.progrock.com.
      Stream live here: http://www.streamlicensing.com/play/player.php?sid=1855&stream_id=3143
      Chat link: http://www.progrock.com/chat.htm
      Stream Last Week's Show Here: http://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/prog-rock-deep-cuts-35/
      4-7 pm - US West Timezone (California)
      5-8 pm - US Mountain (Colorado)
      6-9 pm - US Central Standard
      7-10 pm - US Eastern Timezone (NYC, Florida)
      10 pm - 1 pm - Brazil
      11 pm - 2 am - UK
      1 am - 5 am - France, Italy, Netherlands, Egypt
      8 am - 12 am - Japan, Korea
      If you represent a band and are interested in submitting your music for consideration, please send a press kit to:
      Prog Rock Deep Cuts with Ian Beabout
      PO Box 6120
      Wheeling WV, 26003
      Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProgRockDeepCuts