28089Re: [ProgAndOther] San Fermin - My favorite new band from 2013

  • Roy DeRousse
    Feb 20, 2014
      I'm glad that you and your wife enjoyed the concert so much, Noah! Thanks for
      the great review.

      Noah Lesgold wrote:
      > My wife and I went to see San Fermin last night with Son Lux at the
      > Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, and it was a real treat. Roy, thanks again
      > for recommending them.
      >
      > They have an 8-piece ensemble for touring: keys, guitar, drums, trumpet,
      > baritone sax, violin/harmonies, and the two lead singers - down from 23
      > musicians and singers on the album. Like the album, there's a lot of
      > variety in sonic tone - some songs are spare, while others have a wall
      > of sound and noise. I really appreciate a good horn section, and the

      That's one of the things that I like about them too - a lot of variety.

      > trumpeter and sax player were both excellent, with parts that were well
      > integrated into the substance and texture of the songs. The female
      > vocalists from the album, who front the indie band Lucius (I'm not
      > familiar with them but might look into their stuff), are not part of the
      > touring band - instead Rae Cassidy takes the female lead and does really
      > well with it, running hotter with the emotional tone of the songs than
      > the comparatively cool approach on the recorded version. Violinist
      > Rebekah Durham provides harmonies on many of the parts (sometimes the
      > trumpet plays the harmony melody along with the vocals, also), though I
      > was kind of sad to not have the full harmonies on "Crueler Kind", which
      > was otherwise excellent.

      Filling in for the album's singers sounds like a difficult job to me, given
      the vocal parts! Glad to hear that these singers are up to the task. Maybe
      they're the same ones that I've seen on some of the videos that you've linked to?

      > Opener Son Lux was a pretty good time as well; I hadn't gotten familiar
      > with their material, and I did run a little hot and cold with their set.
      > The music is all by Ryan Lott, who sings and plays keyboards and
      > manipulates beats; there were also a drummer and a guitarist; while the
      > drummer was quite good, rarely have I seen someone make playing the
      > drums seem so much like an awful, crippling, incurable disease. I was
      > kind of on the fence about picking up his latest CD, "Lanterns" but the
      > closing song, which I think was the single "Lost It To Trying" was
      > compelling enough that I went for it; hopefully I'll give that a listen
      > soon.

      I haven't heard one note by them so far. I'll approach them with an open mind
      and let you know what I think.

      > Anyway, I can definitely recommend San Fermin to anyone who is going to
      > be visited by them sometime soon. It was a real treat.

      You've made me even more excited for tomorrow's show than I already was.
      Thanks again!

      --
      Have fun!

      Roy DeRousse