28086New Djam Karet, Zao, Il Tempio delle Clessidre, Peter Hammill, echolyn, Hawkwind

  • Ian Beabout
    Feb 13, 2014
      Hello everyone …

      Specializing in rare cuts by classic and modern bands, Prog Rock Deep Cuts is a forward thinking, live radio show that promises to match the obscure with the new and fresh. Intelligent, emotional, and visceral classic to modern progressive rock broadcasted live every Thursday from 7-10 pm EST on www.progrock.com.
      This week (February 13th), Deep Cuts is proud to present yet another varied playlist. To start with, we'll be featuring tracks from the highly anticipated new release from Djam Karet entitled, "Regenerator 3017", a slickly produced fusion masterpiece with retro synth sounds, mellotrons, and face-melting guitar solos.

      We will also be airing a new feature (in addition to the Featured Album series), called "In the Vinyl Vein". If it catches on, we'll do it more often! What this will consist of is, quite simply, several cuts from a rip of a classic (hopefully somewhat obscure) vinyl LP.

      The first LP to be featured will be Zao's "Kawana" from 1978, a classic Zeuhl album featuring Didier Lockwood (ex Magma) on violin. It's pretty crackling stuff that I'm sure jazz fusion nuts will love!

      The feature, like the "Feature Album" series will be semi-regular. That means that it will not happen every week, but only when I have a record I feel is up to the following criteria: it must be rare, hard to find on CD, and a decent quality LP. This could be a lot of fun!
      Though the playlist will ultimately be determined during the show, other music in consideration include tracks from Italian proggers Il Tempio delle Clessidre and their new record "AlieNatura" as well as classic tracks from Peter Hammill's "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage" which celebrates its 40th anniversary this week.
      Also, tunes from the now-defunct obscure Pittsburgh-based progressive folk band Psoas (pronounced So-az) caught my ear as potential Deep Cuts material, a mysterious and subtle group marked by haunting acoustic guitar and female lead vocals.
      To top it off, tracks from echolyn, Miriodor, and The Fierce and the Dead are in consideration.  Lastly, classic music from Henry Cow, Hawkwind, Magma, and Egg will be sprinkled into the playlist, making for an epic and engaging voyage into prog's less-charted waters.
      Join us this Thursday on www.progrock.com and chat with us in the chat room for what is promising to be an exciting three hour trip through modern and classic progressive music!

      Stream live here: http://www.loudcity.com/stations/progrock-com
      Chat link: http://www.progrock.com/chat.htm

      Stream Last Week's Show Here: http://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/prog-rock-deep-cuts-24/

      If you represent a band and are interested in submitting your music for consideration, please send a press kit to:
      Prog Rock Deep Cuts with Ian Beabout
      PO Box 6120
      Wheeling WV, 26003

      Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProgRockDeepCuts
      Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProgRockDeepCut

      Last week's Setlist:
      PROG ROCK DEEP CUTS WITH IAN BEABOUT WEEK #24

      1. Awaken the Sleeping - Beardfish (Destined Solitaire)
      2. Sleep is Wrong - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (Grand Opening and Closing)
      3. Introduzione / Primo Incontro - Il Balletto di Bronzo (Ys)
      4. Drip, Drip - Comus (First Utterance)
      5. Son of Orange County / More Trouble Everyday - Frank Zappa (Roxy and Elsewhere)
      6. Sleep Dirt - Frank Zappa (Sleep Dirt)
      7. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever - Gong (You)

      From the Featured album, "Other World" by Peter Hammill and Gary Lucas
      8. Cash
      9. Attar of Roses
      10. This is Showbiz

      11. This Weird Wind - Thinking Plague (In Extremis)
      12. Ultimate Sealed Unit - Chrome Hoof (Chrome Black Gold)
      13. Vermillion Hue over Lake Lausanna - Hamster Theatre (Carnival Detournement)
      14. Kevlar Sweethearts - Diablo Swing Orchestra (Pandora's Piñata)
      15. Buds and Spawn - Cardiacs (On Land and in the Sea)
      16. Latin Parantina - simakDialog (The 6th Story)
      17. II - Guapo (Black Oni)
      18. Lilin - John Zorn (At The Mountains of Madness)
      19. Emëhntëhtt-Ré I-III - Magma (Emëhntëhtt-Ré)
      20. Life's Too Small - Mike Keneally (Bakin' @ the Potato)