28072Re: [ProgAndOther] Any McCoy Tyner suggestions?

  • Roy DeRousse
    Feb 4, 2014
      I don't know enough about Tyner to make any suggestion. I listened to the
      samples from this album at
      http://www.allmusic.com/album/fly-with-the-wind-mw0000188866, and am very
      intrigued. I've heard a number of things by him, but nothing like this. The
      brief bit of "Rolem" I heard does actually remind me of "Sound Chaser" a bit
      (mainly the piano part). I'll have to check it out.

      eichler2@... wrote:
      > Anyone know much about the jazz pianist McCoy Tyner (who I keep wanting
      > to call Tyner McCoy, even though I know that's backwards)? A long while
      > back my friend Brian the jazz bassist loaned me a copy of Tyner's "Fly
      > With the Wind" and it just blew me away (no pun intended). The music
      > sounds more like prog rock than jazz to me - the instrumentation
      > includes flute and a string section, and the rapid-fire intensity of
      > music is amazing. The comparison I keep thinking of while listening to
      > it is to Yes' Relayer.
      > Does anyone know if he ever released any other albums that were similar
      > to this? I borrowed all the other Tyner albums my friend owns and even
      > went out and bought a "best of" disc, but they were closer to standard
      > jazz or Latin jazz (still good stuff, but not as exciting as "Fly With
      > the Wind").

      Have fun!

      Roy DeRousse

      Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4