BCC student Sompong - Sad news and support

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2013
      Dear Allstars,

      This is not film-related but I would like to call upon our collective resources.
      Friday, our BCC Multimedia student Sompong Viengvilai lost both of his parents and his older brother in a fire at their home in Richmond.

      For all of you who know him, Sompong's presence has been such a gift to our department.  He brings creativity, infectious warmth and zeal to our classes.
      I have been thinking about how we, as a community, can offer our support to Sompong. It is hard to fathom such a loss, especially for a young person.

      In the short term, if you'd like to lend a hand and help defray the costs for the multiple funerals, I visited Sompong yesterday and our contributions would be enormously helpful. Here's a link  I created to YouCaring, a site where you can donate via Visa, MC or Paypal.  All funds raised will go immediately and directly to Sompong.

      http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/bcc-friends-support-sompong/70918

      Secondly, if you can recommend organizations - government agencies, non-profits, charities or if you know people who are experienced with dire situations like this, the family could really use some assistance. In addition to massive funeral costs, Sompong and his siblings are looking for a place to live and they have a disabled brother. Please email me with any personal contacts or suggestions you have and I will forward them to Sompong.
      Can anyone recommend government social service agencies, non-profits or  charities the family might contact?  Please email me and i will forward your suggestions and your contacts.

      The funeral costs are huge, Sompong and his siblings are looking for a place to live and they have a disabled brother. - See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/bcc-friends-support-sompong/70918#sthash.iotkSSRS.dpuf

      In the long term, especially this Fall, we can aim to encourage Sompong in continuing his studies and remind him that he's a cherished member of our community at BCC.

      No matter how much and in what form you're able to give, I think it will mean a great deal in Sompong's recovery to know that we broadly support and care for him.

      Thank you.
      Rachel Mercy Simpson