Beasts of Southern Wild producer visiting BCC THIS FRIDAY

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26 12:28 PM
      Dear Allstars,

      This is not a general public event but I thought I'd open it up to BCC Alums who may be interested.

      Just a heads up that I've arranged for Josh Penn, producer of the indie sleeper hit "Beasts of the Southern Wild" to come speak at BCC.
      "Beasts" won the grand jury prize at Sundance and the Camera d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and may well win some Oscars.  Most importantly, it's a terrific film; inspiring and fresh.  See it while you can in local independent theaters and come hear Josh Penn talk about making the film.

      Josh will speak Friday, September 28th from 12:45-2:15 at BCC in room 431 (tiered class room.)
      He will discuss everything from casting, fundraising and distribution issues to how they transformed a pick-up truck they purchased for $300 into a boat.

       If you haven't seen it yet, Beasts is currently playing at the California theater on Kittredge Street in Berkeley,at the Grandlake and  the Cerrito.

      Here are some links to websites for the film:

      http://www.beastsofthesouthernwild.com/
      http://www.welcometothebathtub.com/
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125435/awards

      Here's a link to Oprah doing Interviews
      http://www.oprah.com/own-supersoulsunday/blogs/The-Making-of-Beasts-of-the-Southern-Wild

      Here are links to press about Beasts and speculation that it will be nominated for the Oscars:

      http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/29/could-summer-indie-beasts-of-the-southern-wild-nab-oscar.html
      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/hollywood-film-awards-judd-apatow-quvenzhane-wallis-369717
      http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/sundance-awards-34873
      Hope you can join us.