Re: Camera loan request

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
      Thanks for the response, Ari.

      Anyhow and unfortunately, if I had the money to rent said camera, I would. I guess all I can offer anyone is to buy them lunch. I was just hoping that there was some goodwill among my friends or those that know me and think I'm responsible enough not to damage or steal their camera, would let me borrow one, if they had one.

      On occasion, I have done so in the past with my video camera and lights. Maybe I'm the rarity or just a sucker.

      I thought there would be more support amongst my fellow filmmakers and classmates, but I guess not. Thanks for confirming for me that I can't rely on the assistance of anyone unless money changes hands and that I should follow suit.

      Anyhow, I cancelled the test shoot for my video project as I don't have access to either of the cameras I need.

      Again, thanks and take care.

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
        John,

        I agree with Ari that some form of compensation is required, but that doesn't necessarily mean money.

        In the future, you may want to consider offering a trade of services or something similar (i.e.  I borrow your camera and you can borrow my .... ).

        Also, it's hard to tell who you are and (if you are responsible or trustworthy) if you don't provide more information about yourself.  For example, it would help if you included your last name and what class you're taking.  Also, is this a project for a class, a personal project, or a paid gig?

        In any case, don't let this experience discourage you from asking for help from classmates.

        John Wong

        What are you offering?  I can't even forward this message to friends w/the camera when you're offering zero compensation to use someone's camera.

        FYI -- general rule is camera people don't loan their cameras, they let you rent the camera AND the operator (them).
        You'll be lucky to touch someone else's camera...

        Ari
        rekzkarz.com
        Msg sent via REKZpod

        On Oct 5, 2010, at 5:10 AM, ProductionAllStars@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > There is 1 message in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Still looking for a 5D/7D
        >    From: John
        >

        > Message
        > 1. Still looking for a 5D/7D
        >    Posted by: "John" quetzalzacatnengo@... quetzalzacatnengo
        >    Date: Mon Oct 4, 2010 9:50 pm ((PDT))
        >
        > I am looking to borrow a 5D or a 7D to shoot some test/sample footage for a video project I am going to be shooting. I will need the camera possibly on Tuesday (10/5) and definitely on Wednesday (10/6).
        >
        > Thanks for any assistance.
        >
        > John
        >

        > Messages in this topic (1)

        > <*> Your email settings:
        >    Digest Email  | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        >    (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        >    ProductionAllStars-normal@yahoogroups.com
        >    ProductionAllStars-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ari
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
          John,

          On the contrary, money is not needed & you can find lots of goodwill amongst us filmmakers.

          However, the main reason most people w/cameras are 'attached' to their camera is -- as you said, you're too low on $ to rent -- so what happens if you break the camera?

          I've been on a shoot in SF where an editor loaned her camera to a low budget filmmaker, who I watched give the camera to a PA -- who dropped it.
          The filmmaker didn't tell the editor & tried to give it back to her w/o mentioning the drop -- but she saw the (obvious) damage & left in a huff, didn't edit the project either.  It was a bad moment.

          So if you like your gear & can't afford to replace it, like I do w/my camera (& mic's & light kit), simply say "I'd be happy to operate my camera as DP for your shoot".
          After seeing that (& other stuff), I think this is a good practice.

          Don't take it personally & mention your offer of a really good lunch when you ask for the help!   :)

          Peace,
          Ari
          rekzkarz.com
          Msg sent via REKZpod

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
            Ari,

            I know money is not needed. I tend to do things in trade with my non-filmmaker friends all the time. Alas, it never seems to work out that way for me when it comes to filmmaking. Getting people to help me out on a shoot is often like pulling teeth. The majority of people that have helped me on my shoots are my non-filmmaking friends, because my filmmaking friends never responded to my requests for aid or just said they couldn't.

            So, what happens if I don't break the camera? Oh, no one will let anyone else borrow a camera, so I guess that question will have to remain rhetorical. Or, if they do bad things always happen.

            As for your anecdote, how well did the editor know the filmmaker? Didn't the filmmaker have a production insurance to cover such things? Didn't the editor have any personal insurance? Why did the filmmaker hand the camera to a PA and not the DP or the assistant camera? If the editor and filmmaker were friends, why would he be so disingenuous with her? So, the editor bailed from the production in an unprofessional manner because of what happened to her camera?

            I do like my gear and can't afford to replace it, but I'm not going to demand I be part of someones crew so they can use my equipment. Most of the time they already have their crew and just need the equipment, hence them asking if they can borrow the camera, not them asking if I would like to shoot their project. If I know you well enough and think you are responsible enough, I might let you borrow the equipment. In the couple instances I let someone borrow my stuff, they asked if I would like to be at the shoot to make certain the equipment was used properly. I declined each time and still got my equipment back in good working order and when they said they would get it back to me.

            This is sounding like a matter of two different opinions on the situation and it also sounds like two different world views as well.

            John Ashton-Keller