Re:What program to use for building database

  • Marissa Aroy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
      The easiest database would be Excel.  You can easily sort by any of those categories, and keep addresses too.  If you need to custom build a database, you can try Filemaker Pro, but it sounds like a bit of work compared with using an Excel spreadsheet.  -Marissa Aroy

    • n_pollack
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2010
        I second Marissa's advice.  Microsoft does have a database program called Access, but it's not that user friendly (at least the versions I've seen.)  Excel will sort a spreadsheet for you, just like a database program.  Unfortunately, Excel doesn't have a mail merge function that I'm aware of, so if you're doing fundraising stuff, you might want to get Access.

        Hope this helps!

        Ned

        --- In ProductionAllStars@yahoogroups.com, a chua <ameliasaddress@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks:What's a database program that's easy to use to sort names, addresses, date, and amounts by?
        > Amelia

      • Marissa Aroy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
          Actually, Excel does mail merge with a Word document, so you can create letters like "Dear <first name>, Thanks so much for your support for our film...."

          Go to Microsoft Word help for instructions on how to create a form letter and merge it with your spreadsheet data.

          Marissa

        • Irina Mukhacheva
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010

            I think that best choice for you is MS Access,  it is very easy to learn using its help (compare to all others) and examples inside of the help, and if you have heavy data (means a lot of data, then MS Access is powerful enough to handle it)
            It is using SQL (structural query language) so if you get description of language online  and try/play for maximum one hour you'll be able to build table with data that you need.

            Check this out :http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut14.htm

            easy tutorials how to  SQL for MS Access: http://www.profsr.com/sql/sqlintro.htm

            You also can use ms excel, you can sort, sum  in it as much as you want it and any way you want and you can make great graphics/ diagrams based on your data. It is not database though, but also very useful program.

            Tutorials for beginners:
            http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excel101/a/Excel_beg_guide.htm

            Hope it will help.

          • Jonathan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              Hey, y'all,

              I'd suggest OpenOffice (.org). It walks like Excel. It quacks like Excel. It even creates completely compatible .xls files, but it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

              The current Mac release of Open Office is more stable than my MS Office 2000 version of Excel.

              --- In ProductionAllStars@yahoogroups.com, Marissa Aroy <marissa@...> wrote:

              > The easiest database would be Excel.
            • Kai Shuman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                Amelia,

                If you use Gmail, you can start using Gmail Contacts to do 95% of what you say you want to do. This is pretty verbose, but I think you should consider it.

                From the My Contacts Page.

                "Actually the best way to do most of what you want is to use Google Contacts to list your people, Companies and whatever.
                My Contacts is a place to import, store and view all of the contact information that's important to you. You can also create your own groups of contacts to easily email many people at once.

                You can set up as Many Groups as you desire to send emails to that list of people, you can make an actual snailmail mailing list, you can make notes about each person, about the date you (talked, subject, paid, charged, whatever and in gmail list recent emails with/to/from the subject.

                At least for now, it's totally free AND I apologize because I got so lost in "database" and didn't realize that Gmail Contacts  is  a Database and does exactly what you want to do. Everytime you call me for a job, pay me, etc. I enter it into your card in My Contacts.

                The Contact has your name, Title Company (or other ID), your phone #s, I have 2 for you, then your email addresses (I've never used over 8 email addresses for anyone), your home address, a work address if there is one any other addresses, A Map to find your address, What Groups you are in You are in Amelia's Current Shoot, BCC Video Fall 2009, Show in Chat list (or NOT) Recent Conversations, Notes about stuff the 1st of which is roughly when I met you. That's usually enough, but I haven't used all the fields available.

                You may want to give it a try. I'll try to help if you need it. If you don't have gmail I can give you a copy to start with.

                Kai Shuman

                On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Marissa Aroy <marissa@...> wrote:

                Actually, Excel does mail merge with a Word document, so you can create letters like "Dear <first name>, Thanks so much for your support for our film...."

                Go to Microsoft Word help for instructions on how to create a form letter and merge it with your spreadsheet data.

                Marissa

              • D Stasko
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
                  oh gee, I'll have to put my 2 cents in.
                  Open office is nice but the formatting gets wonky when you export the files as word docs or pdf files.  Never used it as a mail merge program.   My best results were using Excel which is user friendly in conjunction with Word to do mail merges and such.  No problems with exporting the files.
                  Diana