Fall Classes Update

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2007
      Dear Allstars,

      We have an excellent roster of instructors for the
      Fall, including a few new ranch hands, plus some
      seasoned cowgirls riding into new territory. I want to
      wait for confirmation before announcing other
      instructors' assignments but thought I'd share with
      you that I will be teaching two additional courses
      this fall:

      1) MMART 122 "From Movies to Multimedia" Thursdays
      1-4pm.
      We will analyze the incredible boom in video
      platforms: how ipods, youtube, video on the web, cable
      tv, tivo re-shape the medium of film. We will spend
      a lot of time looking at movies ( yes!) in their many
      incarnations and exploring the internet. As
      filmmakers, how do we put our work "out there?" Who's
      our audience? What are the best venues and mediums?
      Everything video is changing - funding, distribution,
      production, film criticism. In this flux, let's
      explore new opportunities and work.

      (not in the official course description but a little
      inside info; I plan to have big fun as we trace this
      cutting edge!) Quite a number of folks have already
      registered, so sign up soon, if you're interested.

      2) MMART 150C Video Editing & Design III. Weds
      7-10pm.
      Hannah Chauvet and I will co-teach this class on the
      intersection of cinematography and editing. We will
      cover getting great footage for your edit and
      salvaging what seems unusable. Building a dynamic
      story in the edit.

      We will discuss motion editing, continuity and
      coverage.
      Not just picture - we will also explore Audio Design
      and using tools such as "Soundtrack." How do you
      maximize your footage with Stills, Color correction,
      and choose the ideal Web compression? How do you Edit
      and design footage specifically for the internet?

      I am really looking forward to teaching new classes,
      but hope to see some of your familiar faces in the
      fall. If you have any questions or suggestions for
      topics or texts in either of the above classes, do
      email me soon.

      Got a little couch potato?
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2007
        Dear Allstars,

        The Intermediate Production Class MMART 151B has been
        cancelled, but should be held in Spring along with
        MMART 151C.

        I'll be teaching 2 courses:
        122B "From Movies to Multimedia" described in last
        email.
        150C "Advanced editing" (using FCP)

        Hannah Chauvet and I will be instructing the edit
        course, which will emphasize visual storytelling and
        the intersection between cinematography and editing.
        It will also include refining some FCP techniques
        learned in prior classes and an introduction to
        additional features of FCP Studio.
        If you're not joining us for 150C on Wednesday
        evenings, there is always the narrative scriptwriting
        course, which will be taught (Yes!) by my dear friend
        Joey Xanders. Those of you who remember her fabulous
        presentations on storytelling in a couple of our
        production classes, and mourned the brevity of her
        visit, yup, here it is 16 weeks!

        I'm beginning to miss you folks and hope to see some
        familiar faces this Fall.
        Enjoy this last breath of summer!

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?