894BCC State of Multimedia Update

    Jan 20, 2014
      Hi  Allstars,

      Just a heads up that we're running the internship course again after a big success last year.  If you are either interested in doing an internship or if you, or your organization, would like to work with a BCC intern, please contact me.

      Overall, it's been a pretty fabulous fall at BCC.

      Our alum, Paige  Bierma, won an Emmy for  her film, "A Brush with the Tenderloin." It aired on PBS and is up online on the KQED site.  As some of you may remember, Paige began this project in our BCC production and editing classes, (in fact, a number of you are in her credits.)  http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/trulyca/episode.jsp?epid=266201

      Other good stuff, it's the 3rd year we've been collaborating with the Mill Valley Film Festival;  we interviewed Ryan Coogler, Director "Fruitvale Station," Osnat Shurer, VP at Disney, Pratibha Parmar, Eugene Corr, Jason Cohen (Oscar nominated for "Facing Fear") and many other filmmakers.

      It's our 4th year collaborating with Jim Capobianco and the Bay Area International Children's Film Festival, which runs this weekend 1/25-26 at the Chabot Science Center. At BAICFF, we teach animation workshops in pixelation and claymation.
      In addition to marvelous independent films from around the world, there's also  a screening of Nightmare before Christmas with filmmakers.      http://baicff.com/

      BCC has also been teaming up with the MSRI (Math and Science Research Institute) and hosting a series  of lectures on applied mathematics, including Tony DeRose from Pixar discussing the relationship between math and animation.  There are some really interesting lectures  coming up this spring and they're free to the public.  http://www.msri.org/web/msri

      Finally, Multimedia received a grant for over $1,000,000 for Autodesk software, which will enable us to teach Maya and Smoke, amongst other programs.

      Keep in touch. I always welcome hearing from current students and alums.

      Rachel Mercy Simpson