      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: "Winslow, Kyle" <KWinslow@...>
      To: vistaproduction@...
      Cc: tnemeth@...
      Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:16:00 PM

      Hello!

      My name is Kyle Winslow and I coordinate a field trip program for local elementary students called “Sailing Into Science” at the Lake Merritt Boating Center through the City of Oakland , Office of Parks and Recreation.

      I’m searching for a video-savvy person to shoot and/or edit a video showcasing what participants experience in our program.  I plan to use the completed video to recruit program participants, to attain grants to help fund our program, to show our existing grant funders what we do, and for general community exposure and outreach.

      I unfortunately have no funding to pay for video services, but I could promise a chance to hang out at beautiful Lake Merritt with our students in our lakeside classrooms and on the lake in boats, as well as offering free boat rentals to come back to the lake and use anytime (pedalboats, rowboats, kayaks, canoes, sailboats).  I’m also more than happy to write a letter of recommendation or assist in any way possible if this is done as part of student coursework.

      More details:

      -If you’re interested in just editing, I could shoot some video myself and then you could edit on your own time.

      -If you’d like to shoot video yourself, ideally you’d be able to come for four days (9am-2pm) to capture video of each of our four different days of curriculum and boat types.

      -Parking: Plentiful, nearby, and free.

      -Materials needed: You would need to provide equipment to capture video and/or edit.

      -Sailing Into Science provides local elementary students (primarily 5th graders) with hands-on science (life science, earth science, nautical science, simple machines) using our lakeside classrooms and Lake Merritt.  Each morning is spent learning one of our science topics and each afternoon is spent on boats (pedalboats, kayaks, dragonboats, and whaleboats).  We serve primarily Oakland Unified students, many of whom have very few or zero opportunities to receive hands-on learning and go boating.  By the end of this school year, we will have served approximately 1,000 local students.

      I’ve attached a flyer with more Sailing Into Science information and pictures.  If you are interested in getting involved in any manner, please feel free to contact me.  Thank you kindly.  ~Kyle Winslow

      Kyle Winslow, Boating and Science Coordinator

      Lake Merritt Boating Center

      City of Oakland , Office of Parks and Recreation

      568 Bellevue Ave.

      Oakland, CA 94610

      Office: 510-238-2196

      Fax: 510-238-7199