store with full or empty gas tank?

  • John
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 15 4:36 PM
      Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
      it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
      Disconnecting battery.
      Thanks
    • Nick
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 15 4:42 PM
        6 months is long enough for gas to go stale. So the littler the amount the
        better. Not to mention storing hazardous and inflammable chemicals in your
        garage when you are gone is a bad idea.

        I wouldn't worry about it with today's fuel blends, just leave it "low" on
        the gas, but nothing special needs to be done. For 6 months however I would
        seriously recommend having a neighbour just start the car every month to
        keep the HV battery happy.

        -- Nick

        On 15 April 2012 17:36, John <john6528@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
        > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
        > Disconnecting battery.
        > Thanks

      • gggGary
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 15 4:45 PM
          In Tucson? It doesn't matter. Really with a modern sealed fuel system
          it doesn't matter anymore anywhere.
          Keeping the garage from hitting 140 degrees would be nice...............

          gggGary

          On 4/15/2012 6:36 PM, John wrote:

          > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
          > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
          > Disconnecting battery.
          > Thanks

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 15 6:43 PM
            I would leave it almost empty, but it wont matter much....
            then put fresh gas in when you get back.

            On 4/15/2012 6:45 PM, gggGary wrote:

            > In Tucson? It doesn't matter. Really with a modern sealed fuel system
            > it doesn't matter anymore anywhere.
            > Keeping the garage from hitting 140 degrees would be nice...............
            >
            > gggGary
            >
            > On 4/15/2012 6:36 PM, John wrote:
            > >
            > > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
            > > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
            > > Disconnecting battery.
            > > Thanks

          • anil khare
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 16 5:32 AM
              Push button under steering column to disable smart mode.

              Talk to dealership about battery protection.

              You can save some money dropping coverage(s) from insurance.

              I would check all tire pressures for two consecutive mornings to ensure no leaks.

              ________________________________
              I would leave it almost empty, but it wont matter much....
              then put fresh gas in when you get back.

              On 4/15/2012 6:45 PM, gggGary wrote:

              > In Tucson? It doesn't matter. Really with a modern sealed fuel system
              > it doesn't matter anymore anywhere.
              > Keeping the garage from hitting 140 degrees would be nice...............
              >
              > gggGary
              >
              > On 4/15/2012 6:36 PM, John wrote:
              > >
              > > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
              > > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
              > > Disconnecting battery.
              > > Thanks

              OR use Google to search the group for older posts:
                then add in the search words you are looking for.
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              .
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jeffrey_denenberg
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 16 6:24 AM
                I would add some "Stabil" (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sta-Bil-Fuel-Stabilizer-32-oz&i=75803&r=view&aID=507K5&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3735383033&s_kwcid=goobasecontent_goobasecontent_filler&cID=GSHOP_75803) and run it a bit before storing any gasoline engine for a long period.

                JeffD

                --- In Prius-2G@yahoogroups.com, John <john6528@...> wrote:

                > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
                > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
                > Disconnecting battery.
                > Thanks

              • twinplanker
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 16 1:23 PM
                  Dropping the insurance can save money, but be forewarned; your homeowners probably doesn't cover a car in your garage. So if there's a fire or someone breaks in and steals you car, that's your loss.

                  --- In Prius-2G@yahoogroups.com, anil khare <alpha92@...> wrote:

                  > Push button under steering column to disable smart mode.
                  >
                  > Talk to dealership about battery protection.
                  >
                  > You can save some money dropping coverage(s) from insurance.
                  >
                  > I would check all tire pressures for two consecutive mornings to ensure no leaks.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • John
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 16 1:42 PM
                    Yeah... We drop collision but keep the rest. Makes it very cheap. If the
                    garage burns down or something homeowners doesn't cover it so I'm told.
                    John
                    On 4/16/2012 5:32 AM, anil khare wrote:

                    > Push button under steering column to disable smart mode.
                    >
                    > Talk to dealership about battery protection.
                    >
                    > You can save some money dropping coverage(s) from insurance.
                    >
                    > I would check all tire pressures for two consecutive mornings to
                    > ensure no leaks.
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 16 1:44 PM
                      We drop collision (I think that's it) and uninsured motorist. Whatever
                      is left protects against natural disaster, theft and so on and is very
                      cheap. Suggested by our State farm agent.
                      John
                      On 4/16/2012 1:23 PM, twinplanker wrote:

                      > Dropping the insurance can save money, but be forewarned; your
                      > homeowners probably doesn't cover a car in your garage. So if there's
                      > a fire or someone breaks in and steals you car, that's your loss.
                      >
                      > --- In Prius-2G@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Prius-2G%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > anil khare <alpha92@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Push button under steering column to disable smart mode.
                      > >
                      > > Talk to dealership about battery protection.
                      > >
                      > > You can save some money dropping coverage(s) from insurance.
                      > >
                      > > I would check all tire pressures for two consecutive mornings to
                      > ensure no leaks.
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 16 1:47 PM
                        Have left it before with the 12v disconnected and seems to be fine after.
                        John
                        On 4/15/2012 4:42 PM, Nick wrote:
                        > 6 months is long enough for gas to go stale. So the littler the amount the
                        > better. Not to mention storing hazardous and inflammable chemicals in your
                        > garage when you are gone is a bad idea.
                        >
                        > I wouldn't worry about it with today's fuel blends, just leave it "low" on
                        > the gas, but nothing special needs to be done. For 6 months however I would
                        > seriously recommend having a neighbour just start the car every month to
                        > keep the HV battery happy.
                        >
                        > -- Nick
                        >
                        > On 15 April 2012 17:36, John<john6528@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
                        >> it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
                        >> Disconnecting battery.
                        >> Thanks

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 16 1:48 PM
                          Stays remarkably cool... meaning around 90 or so.
                          John
                          On 4/15/2012 4:45 PM, gggGary wrote:

                          > In Tucson? It doesn't matter. Really with a modern sealed fuel system
                          > it doesn't matter anymore anywhere.
                          > Keeping the garage from hitting 140 degrees would be nice...............
                          >
                          > gggGary
                          >
                          > On 4/15/2012 6:36 PM, John wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Leaving a 2004 for 6 months over summer in Tucson az (in the garage). Is
                          > > it better to have empty tank gas or full tank? Or doesn't it matter?
                          > > Disconnecting battery.
                          > > Thanks

                        • anil khare
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 16 2:49 PM
                            Though not in Prius agenda, I feel like advising you to hire a HVAC Guy to shut-off boiler, lock-out circuit breakers (as needed), Shut off water supply,  adjust thermostat to prevent house in extreme weathers etc..

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 16 3:07 PM
                              Yeah... we do that. Also have neighbor come in once a month, turn water
                              on, flush toilets, run dishwasher, check everything and so on. We also
                              unplug refrigerator, microwave, and water softener.
                              John
                              On 4/16/2012 2:49 PM, anil khare wrote:

                              > Though not in Prius agenda, I feel like advising you to hire a HVAC
                              > Guy to shut-off boiler, lock-out circuit breakers (as needed), Shut
                              > off water supply, adjust thermostat to prevent house in extreme
                              > weathers etc..
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • Layton Traver
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 16 4:15 PM
                                Always store with a full tank and gas stabilizer - I use Seafoam

                                Thanks,
                                Layton

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 17 7:26 AM
                                  Hi

                                  Some times fuel will oxidize if left for few months depends on temperature humidity etc, dealers sell a "fuel stabilizer" to prevent that, its better to increase the tire pressure by 10 PSI to keep the tires in shape, raise the wiper arms to keep the wiper rubber from direct contact to the glass.

                                  happy trip
                                • Tom M
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 17 2:20 PM
                                    Very important to have someone come in and run water into ALL sinks and tubs.  While they are flushing the toilets it's a good idea to run a short cycle on the clothes washer and dish washer.    Depending on the temperature that is reached, it doesn't take a long time for all those pesky sewer traps to dry out and let sewer gasses up into the house.

                                    "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

                                    ________________________________
                                    Yeah... we do that. Also have neighbor come in once a month, turn water
                                    on, flush toilets, run dishwasher, check everything and so on. We also
                                    unplug refrigerator, microwave, and water softener.
                                    John
                                    On 4/16/2012 2:49 PM, anil khare wrote:

                                    > Though not in Prius agenda, I feel like advising you to hire a HVAC
                                    > Guy to shut-off boiler, lock-out circuit breakers (as needed), Shut
                                    > off water supply, adjust thermostat to prevent house in extreme
                                    > weathers etc..
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • hyperventilationengineer
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 17 7:09 PM
                                      Today's gasoline almost always has ethanol in it. The ethanol goes bad pretty fast. I'd be inclined to use a Stabil product made for ethanol gas, if that is all that is available. I'd also be inclined to leave the tank mostly empty, so you don't wind up with a full tank of rotten gas.

                                      BillG
                                      Minneapolis

                                      --- In Prius-2G@yahoogroups.com, "ziad" <z_alfawadleh@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi
                                      >
                                      > Some times fuel will oxidize if left for few months depends on temperature humidity etc, dealers sell a "fuel stabilizer" to prevent that, its better to increase the tire pressure by 10 PSI to keep the tires in shape, raise the wiper arms to keep the wiper rubber from direct contact to the glass.
                                      >
                                      > happy trip

                                    • Jesus Ortiz
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 18 9:52 AM
                                        Wouldn't leaving tank almost empty promote water condensation? I leave the tank full and use a battery tender, my car is in central Florida and I go there about every 4 months. Haven't had any problems with the gas or batteries.

                                        Jesús
                                        Sent from my iPhone
                                      • Nick
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 18 9:53 AM
                                          The tank is a very well sealed system because it is not a tank. You have
                                          much bigger problems if you have water condensation in the bladder.

                                          -- Nick

                                          On 18 April 2012 10:52, Jesus Ortiz <jortiz@...> wrote:

                                          > **
                                          >

                                          > Wouldn't leaving tank almost empty promote water condensation? I leave the
                                          > tank full and use a battery tender, my car is in central Florida and I go
                                          > there about every 4 months. Haven't had any problems with the gas or
                                          > batteries.
                                          >
                                          > Jes�s
                                          > Sent from my iPhone

                                        • Alan
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 18 10:11 AM
                                            --- In Prius-2G@yahoogroups.com, Jesus Ortiz <jortiz@...> wrote:

                                            > Wouldn't leaving tank almost empty promote water condensation?

                                            No really, you only get significant condensation when there
                                            is significant fresh air (with more water vapour) moving into the
                                            tank. That really only happens over many cycles of air moving in
                                            as the car burns up the fuel, and is then refilled. If the car
                                            is not running, fuel is not be replaced by fresh air,
                                            and the only condensation is from the air already in the tank.
                                          • Nick
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 18 10:22 AM
                                              That doesn't even happen in the Prius because of the bladder system.