RE: [Prevent-Connect] Definition of primary prevention

  • William Housel
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 1, 2006
      While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I can explain why this happens. It is two different policies involved, with different groups (often overlapping). The government places itself "in loco parentis" with respect to children. This supposes that children cannot defend themselves against adults, especially abusive parents. There is a long history of child welfare -separate from family- that goes back to the child labor law movement. Basically what it is is that we have created the system by separating issues, instead of seeing the problem as a whole.
      They have done somewhat better in the substance abuse field, where they acknowledge that the problem extends to the entire family, and that all members likely need help.
      The policies are not a case of the people involved not being unwilling to help, just a case of legally, we have made this two separate issues, so different organizations and policy makers deal with it.
      Having been involved with domestic violence issues for about 15 years, I have seen what happens to the kids, seen the cycle of violence repeated over and over, and always tried to do what I could for the kids involved, but, regrettably, there was often little or nothing I could make happen due to the way things are set up.
      As a college professor, I see the same thing happening frequently because many academics specialize so narrowly that they have trouble seeing larger issues, and may not have read or studied outside a fairly narrow focus. I have been trying to change that as well, with about the same degree of success. I will however, continue to do whatever I can to make those changes, and to educate people who will be making policy in the future to think their way through a lot more completely. I am not dead, so I can still take action.

      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 15, 2006
        For Law Enforcement, the "P" word is not to be spoken, because of
        course it is automatically associated with RACIAL "profiling." You
        need a different word, one that doesn't have all that bad baggage to
        lug around.

        Use "behavior patterns." Matching of observed behavior patterns with
        known behavior patterns from typical offender-types is what police do
        all the time. If they didn't, there would be no such things as
        suspicion or probable cause.

        Safe Harbor Resources actually DOES profile behavior-backgrounds by
        matching such patterns formed by non-evidentiary information, with
        those of socially skilled serial pedophiles. Since we can't allege
        who actually IS dangerous (nobody can predict the future) we forward
        the profile data, characterized as "appearances of potential for
        complaint" to a Forensic Review Board made up of prosecutors and
        investigators experienced in child molestation cases. Some of those
        cases get returned to us as "not interesting." The rest they keep for
        intense investigation resulting in a report for the employer.

        Dave Allburn, Executive Director, SHR