new to the group

  • Alexander Holman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
      Hey gang!
      New to the group, have built several combustion cannon up to a
      3.00 calibre and one for frozen water bottles that went through 1"
      ply
      at 30yrd. This was all fun but would like to build a pneumatic gun
      because my nephew is now old enough to get in on the fun but don't
      like
      the idea of him using cumbustible fluids if I am not around, so I
      think
      I will start him off with air power. So when he is legally
      responsible
      for himself then maybe I'll let him go for butane power. The only
      pneumatic gun I ever built was in the 10th grade for an engineering
      project that shot ping-pong balls and used only .9psi. Should be fun!

      Alexander-
    • Jesse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
        Actually pneumatic guns are, in some ways, more dangerous than combustible. Combustion guns only shoot at around 20 to 30 PSI whereas pneumatically operated guns can shoot at over 100 PSI. So there's the danger of the speed of the projectile. There's also some danger in the idea of a pressurized PVC tank. PVC is known to explode into tiny pieces at larger pressures. And PVC wears down with age so the older the gun the more the "oh darn, that wasn't supposed to happen" factor increases.

        In my opinion Pneumatic is definitely more fun with more choices to experiment with. Although some of the above contingencies are few and far between, don't just assume that since nothing is exploding it's safe. If ya want a few plans for pneumatic guns drop me a line and I'll put together a few links...

        JM
        Writer of "Fries With That?" www.absoluteopinion.com

        Alexander Holman wrote:
        Hey gang!
             New to the group, have built several combustion cannon up to a
        3.00 calibre and one for frozen water bottles that went through 1"
        ply
        at 30yrd.  This was all fun but would like to build a pneumatic gun
        because my nephew is now old enough to get in on the fun but don't
        like
        the idea of him using cumbustible fluids if I am not around, so I
        think
        I will start him off with air power.  So when he is legally
        responsible
        for himself then maybe I'll let him go for butane power.  The only
        pneumatic gun I ever built was in the 10th grade for an engineering
        project that shot ping-pong balls and used only .9psi.  Should be fun!

        Alexander-
      • BigT PI