Ex-BR narrow gauge diesels out on Peak Rail gala weekend...

  • IAN LOVEDAY
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2008
      September 20 - 21 Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge Railway/Peak Rail Diesel Weekend.

      For the September Diesel Weekend, in addition to the normal loco�s we will also have Motor Rail Ltd 5853 of 1934 running. Initially delivered to Petrol Loco Hirers Ltd (a company owned by Motor Rail) on 18/1/1934 it was hired to Merton Eng Co Ltd Feltham (Sand and Shingle Ltd) and subsequently sold to them on 23/5/1934. It was later observed in the service of Milton Hall (Southend) Brick Co Ltd on 27/11/1945. It was bought by the late Rev E R (Teddy) Boston at the Cadeby Light Railway in 1964 and bought by Pete Wood in 1974.

      In addition to the normal running of Ruston & Hornsby 487963/1963 and 393325/1956 (ex BR 85049) and occasional double heading with 404967/1957 (ex BR 85051), we will also be running a cavalcade of 4 loco�s. R & H 404967/1957, Motor Rail 22070/1960, Motor Rail & Tramcar Co Ltd 4572/1929, and Hunslet Engine Co Ltd 8917/1979.

      Under restoration Motor Rail Ltd 8756/1942 will also be out on static display.

      Also on display at Rowsley will be the arrivals earlier this year from the Welsh Highland/Ffestiniog Railway, the 1917 Motor Rail & Tramcar Co Ltd 40HP Simplex WDLR 2156 (MR 435/1917). Built for the First World War battlefield supply lines as an open but later protected model. Rebuilt in 1924 as No 3663, re-gauged to 2� 6� and sent to St Kitts in the Leeward Islands. Later brought back from Antigua and re-gauged back to 2�. Also ex NCB Tamper, 1986 Gullick Dobson of Wigan, Track Ballaster BL009. Both are still on site on the Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge Railway having maintenance work done on them.

      Regards

      Dave Timperley.