Cahokia Mounds Preservation

  • Vincent Barrows
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      This sunday, I got a letter to the editor published in the Belleville papers. Here it is.

      Protect the mounds before it's too late
      Cahokia Mounds in Collinsville is the first city in Illinois , where hundreds of thousands of people lived for thousands of years.
      Do you know that mowing of the site including Monks Mound has caused irreversible damage to the largest ancient earthen monument in the western hemisphere? It has decreased in height from 104 feet to 86 feet in the past 100 years. Rattlesnake Mound, the largest ridge-top mound remaining, has been converted to an ATV 4-wheeler racetrack by trespassers. Fox Hill Mound has also recently been clear- cut of trees, which has caused irreparable damage.
      A native prairie grass restoration effort, as well as tree plantings on the mounds, would preserve the history for many years. This letter is written in hope the state provides the necessary funding for Cahokia Mounds to remain open on a daily basis for the above reasons and in an effort to preserve the mounds. Advanced scientific evidence including engineering, astronomical knowledge and geophysics have been clearly identified in the ancient city.
      Cahokia Mounds is an international treasure that deserves to be preserved; it brings the wisdom of eternity to America .
      Vince Barrows
      Belleville

    • Phil Whitley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        I was thrilled tonight when I discovered this article!

        Explorer to search depth of the Gulf
        http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611020351

        <<<SNIPS>>>

        The trip, which will focus on exploring the underwater topography of an area 100 miles off the coast of Texas known as the Flower Garden Banks, will depart March 2007 from Galveston and be broadcast live to museums and Boys and Girls Clubs of America across the country.

        face="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">"We expect to find the earliest human occupation in the Americas," he said. "The reason we're looking on the coast is that it's likely if people were hear early, they were exploring the resources. We will be reconstructing that landscape as it was 15,000 to 20,000 years ago."

        <<<END SNIPS>>>

        Reckon they could use an old ex-scuba diver on this trip?

        Brew

      • Rafael Andrés Escribano
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Greetings, Phil, all.

          It looks more like a pretty sophisticated covert operation:

          <<The project includes a slew of partners and sponsors including the U.S. Navy, who will lend the use of their Groton-based NR-1 submarine, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Marine Sanctuaries Program. The University of Rhode Island and UConn will also be involved.>>

          Rafael

          Dr. Rafael Andrés Escribano
          Hasting BA-8, Garden Hills Norte
          Guaynabo, Puerto Rico 00966