Re: Stone circles

  • dcampbell75479
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2006
      I have a thread on my website which discusses Bagnold's Circle and
      other Neolithic stone circles of the Libyan Desert and southern
      Egyptian Sahara. There are photos there from fjexpeditions which is an
      extremely valuable resource for Saharan rock art, megaliths and
      historical background on the early Saharan explorations in the 20th
      century. These stone circles are quite similar to the one at Nabta
      Playa. The stone circle you have posted is quite dissimilar to the
      others found in the Libyan Desert and for some reason it strikes me as
      being later than the Neolithic circles and shelters there.
      http://www.anarchaeology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

      As for Byron de Prorok's accounts of Mexico and Central America, they
      are in Dead Men Do Tell Tales and I have a copy. It is one of Prorok's
      later works and while quite entertaining as travel/adventure, it is
      short on crucial details. One of the most interesting anecdotes is
      Prorok's description of prehistoric fossils and statuary found in a
      Meso American ruin similar to Copan. These were boxed up and shipped
      to Harvard never to be heard of again. This book highlights the tragic
      flaw in Prorok's character which took him from serious exploration
      and discovery to a more ego satisfying path of sensationalist lecture
      touring. I see a prefiguring of some of our more flamboyant
      alternative authors today and Prorok's career is, for me personally, a
      very sobering cautionary tale.
    • michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2006
        hi david, all

        that title sounds familiar, but i cant remember much detail about
        his digs in central america, just tantalizing tidbits. prorok often
        cited the similarity of flints in mexico and the sahara. i will
        check my library for the book, to be sure ive read it.
        david, are you retired yet? you might be a good investigator.
        much work of importance might be found at acambaro, not so far from
        texas. wouldnt it be nice to live there like julsrud, and spend a
        few pesos to assemble a collection. film the entire dig. had
        julsrud our cameras, it would have been hard to deny the relics were
        found in undisturbed strata. roots wrapped around objects found
        under 5 feet of soil, are quite convincing.
        its very disturbing, that there is so much opposition, when relics
        are found that dont fit current theories. some experts will stoop to
        lies and misrepresentations to quash and invalidate anomalous
        objects. russ can testify to this.
        i have difficulty believing the implications one is led to by the
        depictions. they wont go away, so we must get to the bottom of it.
        if fraud was done, it was by the ancients. even then, the mystery
        deepens, why would so many artists be moved to create these objects?
        how could they know the anatomy of dinosaurs so well? what are the
        odds of having so many artistic paleontologists in one small area?
        the species that were unidentified by our scientists, were what they
        might expect from adaptations, but have never found. so the potters
        were genius'. logic leads me to think that they saw what they
        depicted in the flesh, the alternative is more incredible.

        mike

        --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "dcampbell75479"