megalithic times

  • michael
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2006
      i wish some learned scholar might be able to tell us more about
      the megalith builders. ive not seen conclusive proof for the dating
      of the megaliths. some evidence is better than others, but none were
      convincing.
      about all we are sure of is they were built before historical
      times, pre 3000 bce. many posit dates for certain megaliths between
      5000 and 3000 bce.
      malta is said to have some of the oldest megalithic structures, on
      the islands. seems like circa 8000 bce on gozo.
      we need to study the patina on the megaliths, to see if it
      supports youth or extreme old age. these people were either
      widespread in number, or mariners. it seems that megaliths occur
      much near seashores.
      to me personally, the message that megaliths convey is, 'puny
      moderns, look what we giants could do'. so the dating may need to
      factor in the time of giants. a few giants persisted until later
      times, but for the age when all of mankind were giants, we might have
      to go back further, pre 10000 bce.
      of all of the remains and relics left to posterity, the megaliths,
      and the huge stone hammers and flints, most hint that giants were the
      builders. its unscientific, to not speak of giants, or ignore all of
      the clues and mentions. i think human size varies in great cycles,
      just as all of nature.
      history is murky before 3000 bce, all we have is from
      philosophers, psychics, and mystics - but also worthy sources to
      consider.
      according these latter sources, around 10000 bce, was the end of a
      rootrace, with the old disappearing, and the introduction of a
      smaller race of human. the high cultures of the end-times of that
      race may have had technologies to create better than crude
      monoliths. these people were the end-products of thousands of years
      of culture.
      mere speculation, based on all of the evidence or thoughts ive
      read, point to the megalithic culture being much earlier. i would
      guess before 50,000 bce, and possibly some might date to 250,000
      bce. this is a more likely time for the giants that might be
      associated with our cruder monoliths.
      i know my views are far from concensus on dating the megaliths, or
      the existence of former giants. note, we are talking major phases of
      megalithic building. all ages have stone-age peoples in remote
      places on earth. any of these might be capable of erecting
      monoliths, if they were larger. smaller man, like modern, would
      always prefer using smaller stones or bricks, with the exception of
      kings ordering public works.
      the geologists may point to a time when landbridges spanned the
      atlantic, and mediterranean. they were probably mariners, but just
      by chance the landbridges are said to have existed in that era.
      norway may have been tropical when many megaliths were built.

      imho
      mike
    • Vincent Barrows
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 1:37 PM
        In my humble opinion, "giants" are the mythical imagination of what it would be like to be an insect crawling on a human, and how people felt like that when faced with the power of nature. Thus male represented the Earth, while the female represented the sky in agriculture. Giants were really created as signs of Gods, who control the weather and make us humans feel as if we were but tiny insects.
        Vince

        michael <infoplz@...> wrote:

[...]

        Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

      • dcampbell75479
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 5:02 PM
          There is nothing mythical at all about the "giants" in North America
          dating to the Adena phase of the Moundbuilding cultures and their
          predecessors. Here is a link to the Spanish Hill site in Pennsylvania
          where a number of these 6-7 foot individuals were excavated. There are
          several references given at the bottom of this brief entry. I have
          personally viewed a 6'4" skeleton in situ in a Fourche-Maline burial
          in Lamar County, Texas. The Fourche-Maline averaged around 5'4" so
          this individual was very likely considered a giant to them. He was
          buried with prestige goods and a stone ax indicating that he was
          respected on more than one level.
          http://www.spanishhill.com/Skeletons/default.htm

          --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows
          <v_barrows@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > megalithic building. all ages have stone-age peoples in remote
          > places on earth. any of these might be capable of erecting
          > monoliths, if they were larger. smaller man, like modern, would
          > always prefer using smaller stones or bricks, with the exception of
          > kings ordering public works.
          > the geologists may point to a time when landbridges spanned the
          > atlantic, and mediterranean. they were probably mariners, but just
          > by chance the landbridges are said to have existed in that era.
          > norway may have been tropical when many megaliths were built.
          >
          > imho
          > mike
          >

          > Hosted by http://all-ez.com/epigraphy.htm
          > Group Site : http://www.epigraphyusa.com
          > To unsubscribe from this group, although we hope
          > you stay and help us improve. First consider changing to daily
          digest, or no mail - web only, visit main and edit membership :
          > if you must leave send an email to:

          > Online social science degree Social science course
          Social science degree Social science education Bachelor of
          social science Social science major

          Service.