inconsistencies in history of the west

  • michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      this article sent by mythisis, set me to thinking about the
      geology of the columbia plateau. i reviewed this info :

      http://www.shelton.wednet.edu/Teachers/KUnsoeld/CVO%
      20Volcanoes/vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/volcanic_past_idaho.html

      500,000 sq miles of very deep basalt lava deposits. 300 major
      eruptions happened between 17 and 6 mya, they contend. the cascade
      chain of volcanoes are still active and very dangerous. isnt it
      strange that active volcanoes are thought to have done most of their
      flows up to 17 mya? we see from mt helen that areas recover very
      fast from volcanic eruptions. after 100 years it may be difficult to
      determine the mighty event of 1980 occurred. this was a firecracker
      compared to earlier events, but the lesson is still true. the tribes
      of that region have legends about great events of the cascade range,
      and still fear this land of fire. there must have been major events
      during the time of man in the northwest, unless the experts are
      prepared to admit 17 million years for man there.
      meteor crater of az is thought to have been impacted about 25,000
      years ago. this was formerly thought to be long before folsum
      points, and the beringian walk, and they considered the continent
      unoccupied by man then. now, after finding older sites, we know this
      is not true. the local tribes have a legend of the fire from the sky
      and impact, that can no longer be ignored and discounted. in the same
      way, we should give more credibility to the andean tribes' legends of
      the mountains uplift in peru.
      the tribes probably avoided the columbia and snake river area for
      millennias, but newcomers might have been caught by eruptions.
      basalt flows up to 5 mph at 1100 c, so its unlikely anything remains
      from them. such catastrophic events could in some special cases
      fossilize and preserve bones and relics. ice dams broke often,
      throwing raging torrents down the snake and columbia rivers. these
      too may have caused some animals, and perhaps man, to be fossilized.
      it will help if such are found. until then, i prefer the legends to
      the scientific views.