Wooden Lintels at Uxmal

  • jdaintira@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      In a message dated 8/31/2005 12:14:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, infoplz@... writes:
      p347 he tells that many lintels are intact at uxmal.  this would indicate that the ruined structures of palenque are older, than those still with intact lintels at uxmal.
      Ah, now I see.

      Uxmal is a very different climate from Palenque.  Certainly still tropical, but not a humid jungle, and wood would certainly last much longer there.  Palenque is a place where your tennis shoes could rot over night - and both times I have been there it has been in the short "dry" season.

      I do not specifically recall the wooden lintels, but may have photos packed away somewhere.

      I decided several years ago that the abandonment of the major Mayan cities must have been connected to hurricanes.

      At Copan ( really jungle there), the graveyard was beside the river.  Imagine a storm such as the one that just hit New Orleans and Biloxi.  The stone temples would withstand this, but not much else.  No clean water, food supplies destroyed, graveyards and human/animal waste washed into the clean water source of the river (and there is evidence for this happening at Copan), disease following.

      Naturally, the people would take to the jungle and woods and might not ever come back.

      ~JM