Re: Missi Paleoindian sites

  • dcampbell75479
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      The mammoth bones around here deteriorate into a chalky dust rapidly
      upon exposure to air unless preventive measures are taken quickly.
      Most private collections consist of molars and pieces of enamel though
      I did see a leg bone a couple of weeks ago. I've found marine shells
      up here that came from the gulf along the old trade route from Mexico
      to Spiro. I have not seen any evidence of sea beds as recent as
      Paleoindian up here but salt beds from much older strata are exposed
      near the Red River in Lamar and Red River Counties. These were used by
      the Caddo and likely much earlier by Archaic groups.

      -- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "mike white"
      <infoplz@c...> wrote:

      > remember the mound builders were found to have lots of conch
      shells and shark teeth, but this was concluded to be proof of a vast
      trade network. the obsidian came from afar, but not necessarily the
      marine items.

      > http://www.greatriver.com/mastodon.htm
      >
      > http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/Interp/Indian.htm
      >
      > this report would seem to deny my idea that the lower miss.
      valley had been seabed in paleo times. it should be determined if the
      megafauna bones are insitu , or if by the wear it appears they could
      have originated near the source at the north. they dont seem to be
      finding paleo kill sites, or complete skeletons, just a section of jaw
      or a molar, etc.