Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Missi Paleoindian sites

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 6:48 PM

         remember the mound builders were found to have lots of conch shells and shark teeth, but this was concluded to be proof of a vast trade network.  the obsidian came from afar, but not necessarily the marine items.

         this report would seem to deny my idea that the lower miss. valley had been seabed in paleo times.  it should be determined if the megafauna bones are insitu , or if by the wear it appears they could have originated near the source at the north.  they dont seem to be finding paleo kill sites, or complete skeletons, just a section of jaw or a molar, etc.

      Kind regards,
      Mike White
      http://all-ez.com/yahoo-groups.htm

    • dcampbell75479
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 11:42 PM
        The mammoth bones around here deteriorate into a chalky dust rapidly
        upon exposure to air unless preventive measures are taken quickly.
        Most private collections consist of molars and pieces of enamel though
        I did see a leg bone a couple of weeks ago. I've found marine shells
        up here that came from the gulf along the old trade route from Mexico
        to Spiro. I have not seen any evidence of sea beds as recent as
        Paleoindian up here but salt beds from much older strata are exposed
        near the Red River in Lamar and Red River Counties. These were used by
        the Caddo and likely much earlier by Archaic groups.

        -- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "mike white"