Yuchi = Yueh Chi?

  • dcampbell75479
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2005
      Mike, I remember we discussed the Yuchi some time back as being
      related to some Old World group. The one that comes to mind are the
      nomadic horsemen who harrassed the Chinese, called the Yueh Chi. I
      can't remember the era in which they lived but I've seen illustrations
      of them from an old Chinese tapestry which recounts the abduction and
      ransom of a Chinese princess by the Yueh Chi. It was at the time of
      the Great Wall as I recall. Also I think I remember that the Yueh Chi
      were not Chinese but Eurasian steppe nomads. Perhaps the caucasoids
      recently found in China?
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2005

           thanks david.  i think you are right, that seems likely where i saw the name in northeast siberia, while following leads from velikovsky and hibben.  jamey also cited a name like 'timuchen' [sic] that reminded me of the mongols.  that would take some doing, but not impossible, to get a ship from china to the west coast ca 1200 ce, and have the people travel overland to the carolinas.  maybe some of the ships sent against japan, got carried by the divine wind far to the east?

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2005
          In a message dated 5/1/2005 12:38:32 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, infoplz@... writes:
          'timuchen' [sic] that reminded me of the mongols.  that would take some doing, but not impossible, to get a ship from china to the west coast ca 1200 ce, and have the people travel overland to the carolinas.
          Timujin was the birth name of Genghis Khan, so timuchen certain does sound Mongol.

          I assume that we all know that there are Chinese boat anchors of that approximate era found along the Pacific coast of North America.

          I see no reason why they could not have traveled to the Carolinas.  The Spanish, who did not have the extensive land empire of the Chinese, managed to do the reverse a few hundred years later.

          ~ Judith Marie
        • james m. clark jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2005
            Thanks

            Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but there is a reason I don't
            respond via email but rather directly to all groups from each site.
            I have 21 trojans that have been a bit difficult than others to get
            rid of lately, so this isn't going directly to everyones email from
            my pc.

            At any rate, it is "Timucua" not 'timuchen'

            In relation to a old world 'horned serpent' I did come across a
            drawing of what appeared as a horned serpent ship researching
            Milesians if I am not mistaken. I come across it at google
            researching [Fitz]warren and images there but I think I had spelled
            it Mileasians which may have not been related at all, I don't know.

            I'm not to fond of many pre-Columbian theories but in a way I guess
            it is about the only ethos Americans have. Heck I don't even consider
            myself an enthusists but apparently there is some truth to European
            tales that seems more eastern in origin and the fact that there is
            plenty of evidance of Europeans in the New World. To the amount of
            speculation accepted or rejected for that matter is beyond the
            historical method which is constantly rewritten.

            be well,
            jamey

            --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "mike white"
            <infoplz@c...> wrote:

            > thanks david. i think you are right, that seems likely where i
            saw the name in northeast siberia, while following leads from
            velikovsky and hibben. jamey also cited a name like 'timuchen' [sic]
            that reminded me of the mongols. that would take some doing, but not
            impossible, to get a ship from china to the west coast ca 1200 ce,
            and have the people travel overland to the carolinas. maybe some of
            the ships sent against japan, got carried by the divine wind far to
            the east?

            digest, or no mail - web only, visit main and edit membership :
            > if you must leave send an email to:

            Service.
          • james m. clark jr.
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2005
              Interesting Judith

              Recently someone asked a question at archaelogytheorymethod relating
              to migration theories that a Archaeological student or graduate [?]
              from the University of Edinburgh had to question himself. It is hard
              to imagine that an educated man from Edinburgh has never heard of
              British Israelite theories although I didn't recommend it either, I
              did give an example.

              With that in mind and perhaps related to this I was somewhat
              surprised that I could fine the Suevi in an encyclopedia of world
              history without the history of Tacitus not even realted, and two or
              three centuries later but they were not alone.

              Atli sounds Mongol but I think he is in Valhalla now.

              I must admit I haven't heard of Chinese boat anchors in the West,
              and Yueh Chi is a culture I wasn't aware of but now I am.

              As far as in North American ethmology I am curious about the Dan
              River in Virgina as well as the one in central America. The one in
              Centural America appears to be of non-spanish origin and the one in
              Virgina doesn't appear to be english in an ethmology dictionary of
              place names, but I'll need to double check that one to make sure
              considering the Mandan of a more southeastern origin perhaps.

              be well,
              jamey

              --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, jdaintira@a...

            • jdaintira@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                In a message dated 5/11/2005 6:12:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, jameyboy@... writes:
                but I'll need to double check that one to make sure
                considering the Mandan of a more southeastern origin perhaps.
                All kinds of evidence that the Mandan were Welsh.
              • james m. clark jr.
                Message 7 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                  Maybe so but not all Milesians are Welsh, so I'm going to have to
                  remain just as skeptical as Catlin was since there is no welsh claim
                  of Native lands and I don't think bearded men spoken of relating to
                  the Popul Vuh were welsh; as far as an earlier dates there are many.
                  There might have been blue eyed Mandans I suppose but blue eyed folk
                  are not welsh as far as I know and I don't think it was the Welsh that
                  supposedly Columbus went to Ireland to visit. As a Seminole, Cherokee
                  Scottish, Irish and French Jew and a Cracker (Georgian)I am almost
                  sure Oconostota (Oconosota)just traded those welsh words for some
                  liquor if anything as the sad situation amounted too...but I'm not
                  sure.

                  be well,
                  jamey

                  --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, jdaintira@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 5/11/2005 6:12:38 A.M. US Mountain Standard
                  Time,
                  > jameyboy@m... writes:
                  >
                  > but I'll need to double check that one to make sure
                  > considering the Mandan of a more southeastern origin perhaps.
                  >

                  > All kinds of evidence that the Mandan were Welsh.
                • luis_browne
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                    --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "james m. clark jr."
                    <jameyboy@m...> wrote:
                    > As far as in North American ethmology I am curious about the Dan
                    > River in Virgina as well as the one in central America. The one in
                    > Centural America appears to be of non-spanish origin and the one in
                    > Virgina doesn't appear to be english in an ethmology dictionary of
                    > place names, but I'll need to double check that one to make sure
                    > considering the Mandan of a more southeastern origin perhaps.

                    I can help you with that one. The illustrious surveyor William Byrd,
                    Esq. of Virginia gave it that name as a bibical allusion in the early
                    1700s. He also named the town of Eden on the Dan River for the
                    resemblence of the landscape to the bibical paradise.

                    He just made it up, no ethmology involved.
                  • james m. clark jr.
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2005
                      Thanks for the info Luis.

                      be well,