Glacial Rebound

  • bobandjoany
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      The ice sheets overlying Scandinavia during the last glacial
      maximum were extremely thick.S Bjorck [1995] estimated that the
      highly variable glacial rebound along the eastern coast of Sweden
      attained a maximum of 800m and it is still in progress,[there was
      tectonic activity in the Baltic Sea post 9600bce,which detracts from
      the accuracy of his calculations---it is extremely difficult to
      segregate the effects of the two types of movement].His
      reconstruction provides an indication of the degree of vertical
      relief that can be generated by glacial rebound.
    • Brew
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
        I had to educate myself on the term "Glacial Rebound".
        I thought some of the others here would enjoy the
        following site. Very well done, with graphics...

        http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~geol445/hyperglac/isostasy1/

        Brew

        ==========

        --- bobandjoany <bobandjoany@...> wrote:

        > The ice sheets overlying Scandinavia during the
        > last glacial
        > maximum were extremely thick.S Bjorck [1995]
        > estimated that the
        > highly variable glacial rebound along the eastern
        > coast of Sweden
        > attained a maximum of 800m and it is still in
        > progress,[there was
        > tectonic activity in the Baltic Sea post
        > 9600bce,which detracts from
        > the accuracy of his calculations---it is extremely
        > difficult to
        > segregate the effects of the two types of
        > movement].His
        > reconstruction provides an indication of the degree
        > of vertical
        > relief that can be generated by glacial rebound.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Shankar's Auction Service
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005

          Scandinavia or better the Baltic Shield is one of the regions that has very little or not changed at all during the last 350,000million years! It has not even been heavily influenced by the separation of the continents after the break-up of Gondwana (Pangaea)

          The only changes there were just through the thick ice which suppressed the land masses. The land however is coming back-up after the ice had disappeared, from around 10,000 B.C.  – It is still rising today, though only millimeters per year

          Best regards

          Claus Oldag

          671 24 68, 665 2683, 760 72 80 cell

          I had to educate myself on the term "Glacial Rebound".
          I thought some of the others here would enjoy the
          following site. Very well done, with graphics...

          http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~geol445/hyperglac/isostasy1/

          Brew

          ==========

          --- bobandjoany <bobandjoany@...> wrote:

          >   The ice sheets overlying Scandinavia during the
          > last glacial
          > maximum were extremely thick.S Bjorck [1995]
          > estimated that the
          > highly variable glacial rebound along the eastern
          > coast of Sweden
          > attained a maximum of 800m and it is still in
          > progress,[there was
          > tectonic activity in the Baltic Sea post
          > 9600bce,which detracts from
          > the accuracy of his calculations---it is extremely
          > difficult to
          > segregate the effects of the two types of
          > movement].His
          > reconstruction provides an indication of the degree
          > of vertical
          > relief that can be generated by glacial rebound.

        • Joan Butcher