Re: The Last Inland Sea

  • michael
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2005
      glad to see you got posted mr oldag. i disagree on the kensington
      rune stone, and think its authentic. as you say, these early sailors
      were not scholars or scribes. imho, the vikings had a large
      settlement in wisc and minn by 1000 ce. it doesnt rest on the krs
      alone, dated 1362. dozens or hundreds of shiploads of migrants could
      have come within 362 years. the message shows that the tribes were
      decimating the vikings. i think if all of the viking relics in
      private collections within those two states were brought forward, we
      would have quite a heap. i think the canadian site were vikings, who
      built shelters after shipwreck. it certainly wasnt vinland. they
      were in rhode island, and up the st lawrence.
      i think many of these viking families wanted to break with the old
      world. they were tired of the taxing by church and state. they
      wanted to escape cruel feudalism, and the risk of plague.
      its possible that attacks by natives reduced their number to the
      point, where the few survivors had to go native.
      one would expect lots of viking graves, both christian and pagan.
      members in those states should verify if such can be found. i think
      we would have heard if a plot with headstones with runes had been
      found. its a mystery. rock lake may have a longboat royal burial.
      they took so much care to conceal it by diverting a river to form a
      lake over it. possibly the natives would desecrate marked graves?
      could they honor their own, but profane those of their enemies? if
      they found iron swords and axes they might consider it. this might
      account for the unmarked graves.

      --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "E. F. Legner"
      <e.legner@u...> wrote:
      > Matrosen gewohnlich haben keine Zeit fur sowas. Aber Du screibst
      auserordentlich schon!
      > ==============

      Baghdad with ease! The
      > > distance from Gotland/ Schonen to these places is around 1,600kms.
      > >
      > > As long as the Vikings had some little river they explored it
      with their ships and they
      > > even towed them over land bridges, see Haithabu.
      > >

      > > As far as I know the Kensington Stone was declared a fake.
      However, the scientists never
      > > considered that seafarer were never great writers ( they are not
      even good ones today!)

      > > So some errors in writing and style must be permissible.
      > >
      > > Best regards
      > >
      > > Claus Oldag
      > >
      > > 671 24 68, 665 2683, 760 72 80 cell

      ----------------------

      Canada. That area today
      > > does not
      > > support wild grapes to the extent that the Vikings apparently
      saw. But, would Vikings
      > > have reached
      > > the Inland Sea you noted? That would have been 1,000 miles
      further west.
      > > ====================

      http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues97/dec97/deserts.ht
      ml

      BOB@@@

      > > > dcampbell75479 <fred-dobbs@u...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > John Lindsey, in discussing the Rockwall research told me that
      an
      > > > inland sea or a vastly expanded version of the Trinity River
      drainage
      > > > of today existed as recently as 2000 years ago. He did not name
      the
      > > > source of this information but he found it in conjunction with
      the
      > > > Caddo legend of the river rising to over a mile wide every 900
      years.
      > > > I do know that at the end of the glacial melt all the rivers in
      Texas
      > > > were vastly larger with capacities up to four times that of the
      > > > present Amazon. The cutoff of the Brazos by the Pecos at this
      time
      > > > resulted in a dramatic climactic/environmental change turning
      the
      > > > watering holes of huge herds of Pleistocene megafauna into
      desert
      > > > mudholes. The fossil beds confirm this. Source of the this
      information
      > > > was the 1952 report of the East Texas Geological Society.
      > > >
      > > > Hosted by http://all-ez.com/epigraphy.htm
      > > > Group Site : http://www.epigraphyusa.com
      > > > To unsubscribe from this group, although we hope
      > > > you stay and help us improve. First consider changing to daily
      digest, or no mail -
      > > web
      > > > only, visit main and edit membership :
      > > > if you must leave send an email to:

      Service.

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005

          an excellent site on the inland sea that covered the midwest, especially related to kansas.  he seems fairly certain the sea became dry land circa 65 million years ago.  i wonder if they could discern if the sea flooded the area several times?  the fossil hunters were keen for the dinosaur era reptiles and marine life, and maybe neglected to note more modern insignificant specimens?  then date the sea based upon the huge older fossils that are more fascinating?
           im not convinced yet that an inland sea did not result several times, the most recent due to glacial depression of the continental plate during the several ice-ages.  otherwise its hard to account for the absence of ancient human habitation over this large midwest, or south central region.
           in my brief review of the site, i saw no mention of the fossils of megfauna reported.   only sharks and marine fossils from the pleistocene were noted.  one would expect if the area had been dry land for the last 65 million years to have the full range of megafauna fossils.  something is wrong with the scenario given, imho.

           i invited this gentleman to join us.  it wouldnt hurt to have a paleontologist among us, to give us his perspective.

        Kind regards,
        Mike White
        http://all-ez.com/yahoo-groups.htm

      • Joan Butcher
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2005
          THe ice dams,which contained the numerous glacial lakes were breeched at various times throughout the latter stages of the last glacial maximum [23000-16000bce] and the Younger Dryas [ended circa 9600bce].There were at least three that broadly coincided with Lake Ontario.One cascaded down the Mississippi and the other two debouched along the Hudson and St Lawerence Rivers.Have not sighted many articles on lakes on the western praires of Canada,but your suspicion that there was more than one glacial lake in that region is probably well founded.Where the eastern and western icesheets merged would have been an extremely active and fluid area,when the ice melted.

          mike white <infoplz@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Shankar's Auction Service
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 3, 2005

            Mike, I really enjoy this being a full fledged member now! Thanks for all the help.

            When the first Vikings came to see the North American coast they did not make landfall there, but turned East to Greenland . This was around 968 A.D.

            When Eric sailed West he discovered first Helluland , meaning flat stony land ( Labrador coast), then he made it South along the coast line and made a second landfall where he called the place Markland, meaning woodland ) most presumably New Brunswick/Maine. The third landfall was further down South and this place was called Vinland . (Wine land).

            The place was unmistakably determined that the Vikings found a certain grass that had a sweet taste! The grape was not an issue! ( Kisses sweeter than wine)

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 3, 2005

              Man, I love to see you write in German. Very good!

              Ich freue mich, wenn ich einen Amerikaner sehe, der deutsch spricht und schreibt.

              But the same must be true for the times of Woden-Lithi, when they inscribed their stones at Peterborough , isn’t it?

              Best regards

              Claus Oldag

              671 24 68, 665 2683, 760 72 80 cell

              Matrosen gewohnlich haben keine Zeit fur sowas. Aber Du screibst auserordentlich schon!
              > The Swedish/Danish Vikings ( Rus) reached Constantinople and
              w:st="on"> Baghdad with ease! The