mid to post glacial period and lower, calmer oceans?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
      I lost an earlier note to you all and the last note did not pertain
      to the title.

      More simply, in regard to ancient intercontinental navigation during
      the last glacial period not so many thousands of years ago when
      massive volumes of water were held up in the miles of glaciers.
      Were not ocean levels worldwide drastically lower, providing calmer
      seas in the shallows and multitudes of islands and archipelligos
      above water to easier navigation and allow island-hopping to larger
      land masses for seafarers to restock food and water supplies? If
      this is so too, were oceans currents different from those today?

      which we started in November:

      I am caught up in your group for now, working nine to thirteen hour
      days, six days a week, and cannot do justice to the other site yet.
      I am starting to think about retirement and hope Yahoo or the
      moderator Stan does not disband the site before then.

      If you will look at the intentions of our site, make suggestions
      from the letters of Minnesotastan and myself, and perhaps give ideas
      about where our site might fill in the gaps left from other
      diffusionist groups. I haven't the capacity nor mind to take on
      anything as fervent and exhausting as PreColumbian Inscriptions must
      be to frequent responders and the host(s)!

      If any of you feel inclined, please also duplicate to Ancient
      Waterways Society letters, data, maps, links, anything you send to
      PreColumbian Inscriptions which does not call for an immediate
      response but would further enhance a more comprehensive future
      compilation of research on ancient, intercontinental waterways.

      In the spirit of Ancient Waterways Society, whether it be on that
      site or this wondrous Precolumbian Inscriptions one, I hope to
      further help diffusionist inquiry be as freely accessibile to all as
      is the nearly global policy of "international waters".

      Susan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005

           sometimes a person must use all that he has learned and come to believe in giving a response.  this involves mystical, intuition, and psychic sources.  for those who have researched these deep enough, or had experiences themselves, my confidence is justified, for others, they can choose to ignore such opinions.
           susan spoke of a time of low water levels.  there is a given amount of water on earth, this includes saline, fresh, ice, and atmospheric.  the globe, imho, goes thru a cycle.  the ice builds up at the poles until the mass becomes so great that the earth loses its equilibrium, and a poleshift occurs.  the old polar caps become glaciers, and retreat toward the new poles, or up mountain sides to cooler zones.  we call this period after a poleshift an ice-age.  for thousands of years the glaciers melt, adding to the free water.  countering this melting, new ice forms every year at the new poles.   it is easier for the earth to maintain stability with free water to move where mass is needed.   it is when it is locked up in ice at the poles that more drastic events must happen to maintain stability.  i speak of earthquakes, volcanoes, changes in ocean currents, lands submerging or rapid uplifting.
           its said that we are at the end of such a cycle, so relatively speaking at a low water level in the seas, most of the glacial melt water has been reformed as ice at the current poles.
          ironically the greenhouse effect and global warming has delayed the inevitable disaster.  an increase in earthquakes and volcanoes signals the inability of mother earth to cope.  when they become widespread and more powerful, we can expect major earth changes, such as lands subsiding, and mountain ranges being uplifted rapidly.
           this is probably the most far fetched and incredible thing i could utter, and may lose some members, but i truly believe it, and consider it important enough to risk the ostracism.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
          I'll be ostracized right along with you Mike!

          Charles Hapgood had a very insightful theory about
          catastrophism involving global crustal displacement.
          He even had the ear of Albert Einstein... Rand
          Flem-Ath expanded on this theory in his book, "When
          the Sky Fell". (Google that title and you will find
          his website.) You will enjoy it, for the sub-title is
          "The Search for Atlantis", which he says is now buried
          under two miles of ice at Lesser Antarctica. His
          documentation will make you a believer, or at the very
          least go, "Hmmmm".

          You have a knack of thinking on a large scale, and in
          terms of the geologic timetable. Not everyone can do
          that. Never apologize for that gift!

          Brew

          =========

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005

              thanks brew, from susan's note i think she can concur as well.  i will try to keep scientific as much as possible, in respect for our illustrious new academic members - who are not as accustomed to such radical thinking spoken aloud, without fear of peer pressure and tenure.
               on a personal aside, susan knows how to live large.  i hope she expands her enjoyment of star gazing, and learns their names and lore [dover books].  oh, and watch how you store food in the wilds.  a bag of peanuts or m & m's in the sleeping bag, tent, or unsealed in a pack can be fatal in bear country.  black bears seem tame enough, but crazy when hungry.  one came within a few feet of joining me for breakfast in the high smoky's.
              i dont fully endorse hapgood or flem-ath, although that latter author[s] seemed like good people when they emailed me a while back.  its in the specifics, mechanics, and particulars, that we disagree.  its very hard to disagree with einstein, but im fool enough to try.
               back to epigraphy, there are many factors that may have affected global trade and voyaging routes in ancient times.  the whole face of the earth changes every few thousand years.  new coastlines, new straits, new poles, new currents, prevailing winds, fertle lands become desert, temperate lands become frigid wastelands, and rivers change courses.
               i hope we get the dating objects expert to join us.  it will keep us informed when methods are developed to date inscriptions, or patina, or when a rock face was carved, exposing a new surface.   we can ask him about dating the 200 million year old coral close to the surface in wisc, and our giant andean oysters at 4,000 m.
               i wish the scientist's would publish an easily readable chart that shows the results of their geomagnetism studies.  so that we can take a fast look to see where the magnetic north pole was in every recent geological time.  if we had this tool we could arrive at a close date when monuments and temples were built by the way they were oriented.  in a perfect world true north tries to be the same as magnetic, unless imbalanced or disturbed.  they can sample volcanic deposits that are dateable containing iron that hardened trapping the prevailing magnetic field for that date.  the parallel atlantic ridges may tell us the same thing.   it just occurred to me that water is polarized, and scientists could develope a method to determine the prevailing field when sections of ice cores became frozen.  if fields can set permanently in rock, why not frozen water?  the magnetic gravels on shallow shores also are field indicators, but seem not as telling as the others.
               considering how often the face of the globe changes, if ancient maps were found, we would be unable to identify any landmarks or coastlines, if they were old enough - and would call them nonsense and destroy them.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                 Hy Mike ;
                    Your last part of the message below was not wrong ...in fact if the Global
                   warming ..(EL What-not )should be looked at in the prime-light  of Tectal  Plate
                  movement ...more than CFCs...or even 747s maybe ...the South Pole  ice plate
                  shift was coursed though a undersea Volcano to one side of the South Pole ...
                  yep there are
                 holes in both Poles Ozone covering... but if enough 'rads' pored through  the gaps
                  I do not think that they would increase the surface temp on the seas by 5 degrees
                 ...but volcanic    ejection ...gas or lava would ...
                       some precooked giant squid were washed up alone
                 the California coast line ...these could have been caught along the mid Atlantic ridge
                  with a sulpha-dioxide  gas eruption ....Big Squid Rings anyone   (just a joke)

                                                     Moby ...from those shaky islands ^!^

[...]

              • Shankar's Auction Service
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005

                  Mike,

                  To my best knowledge, the World had only exceptionally ice caps during its history! – The reality is that it was warmer most of the time and due to unknown trigger effects the Earth cooled so that polar caps were formed with increasing tendency. The so called “albedo( the intensity of reflection of sunlight) thus increase by the layers of snow and ice, which did not thaw away in spring/summer.

                  As for the spinning mother Earth, there will be no dis-balance in the system because the South pole area is covered with ice as well. Thus maintaining the equilibrium!

                  You can try this experiment with an orange to which you add some weights on both poles and let it spin.

                  Best regards

                  Claus Oldag

                  671 24 68, 665 2683, 760 72 80 cell